PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions before I add fish...

akrkwood
07/15/2010, 10:48 PM
Hello all I have a 24 gal Nano Cube that is currently cycling. I used mostly dry rock so it will be a while still before I add fish. I plan to keep corals as well as fish.
What I'm looking for is a fish that features a lot of blue or purple, who is not aggressive, and can be housed in my 24 gal.
I am planning to have 1 firefish (magnifica) 1 tank raised black ocellaris clown, 1 tank raised ocellaris clown, and 1 shrimp goby/pistol shrimp pair (probably a blackray shrimp goby) or if I can't find a pair I may go with a clown goby.
I have mostly orange/red/white/yellow in these fish so I would love to find a fish with lots of blue or purple who will likely get along with everyone else. The main concern is the firefish being so shy.
I like Royal Grammas and have kept them in the past but with them having the same body shape and design (bi-colored) as the firefish I worry about aggression and never seeing my firefish. I also like coral beauty and cherub angels but I know they can be aggressive and may nip at corals. I would even consider a purple firefish but I am always hesitant to put two fish so closely related in such a small tank.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated! :beer:
-Aaron

Toddrtrex
07/15/2010, 10:58 PM
Honestly, with the planned fish you have, I wouldn't be adding any more.

jet fixer
07/15/2010, 11:21 PM
If you want purple why not just skip the red fire fish and get a purple one?

akrkwood
07/15/2010, 11:24 PM
If you want purple why not just skip the red fire fish and get a purple one?

My wife prefers the red firefish with the longer dorsal fin, not to mention at the LFS the red firefish is $9 and the purple is around $42.

jet fixer
07/15/2010, 11:28 PM
My wife prefers the red firefish with the longer dorsal fin, not to mention at the LFS the red firefish is $9 and the purple is around $42.

I'll keep thinking then. I prefer the red over the purple also.

akrkwood
07/15/2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks. :thumbsup:

jet fixer
07/16/2010, 12:00 AM
I don't know why I didn't think of this before but the most timid fish in my tank is blue.
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=342&cid=11

I paid $30 less at my local fish store than the web site linked. The only issue I have is he is hard to photograph with a black background.

akrkwood
07/16/2010, 12:11 AM
I don't know why I didn't think of this before but the most timid fish in my tank is blue.
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=342&cid=11

I paid $30 less at my local fish store than the web site linked. The only issue I have is he is hard to photograph with a black background.

Great I should definitely ask my LFS about getting one and what he would charge? I actually was looking at both yellow and blue assessors but have never seen them in any local stores and all the prices online are $100+ but I think one would be perfect for my tank I have three "cave" areas.
(Really need to get a better picture now that the water is clear and the tank has been cleaned.)

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/akrkwood/IMGP1044.jpg

jet fixer
07/16/2010, 12:29 AM
Just to give you an Idea what he looks like:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4798005303_3d9dc77064_b.jpg
I know the photo sucks taking pictures of the tank is not as easy as it seems.

Here is another one, the red fish is a female flame wrasse:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4798635856_519deb3fd4_b.jpg

The pic is about a month old he is geting bolder by the week. I'm hoping he won't hide for hours after hand feeding the corals like he does now.

AngelAddict
07/16/2010, 06:35 AM
You'll be maxed with a pair of clowns,firefish and goby.

small alien
07/16/2010, 10:03 AM

Would strongly encourage you not to make that decision based on cost. You're talking about a fish you'll hopefully have for years. I know you don't want a $3000 Gem Tang, but you're only going to have a few fish. You've already sunk enough money into the project. The fish are a really small part of the over-all set-up cost. Get the ones you really want, not the cheapest ones.

Good luck.

akrkwood
07/16/2010, 11:38 AM
Just to give you an Idea what he looks like:
The pic is about a month old he is geting bolder by the week. I'm hoping he won't hide for hours after hand feeding the corals like he does now.

Thanks he is about as blue as you can get. :dance:

small alien
07/16/2010, 01:44 PM
Yellow tail blue damsels are an amazing blue. Just got a trio for my daughter's 20g and they are kind of awesome even though they're so common. Under reef lighting, their color is stunning.

akrkwood
07/16/2010, 02:38 PM
Yellow tail blue damsels are an amazing blue. Just got a trio for my daughter's 20g and they are kind of awesome even though they're so common. Under reef lighting, their color is stunning.

They really are but those guys definitely don't qualify as peaceful. There are a lot of beautiful damsels but I'm really looking for something that won't keep my firefish hiding all day.

small alien
07/19/2010, 09:55 AM
Peaceful by damsel standards.

snorvich
07/19/2010, 10:08 AM
Well, if you put a pair of clowns in that tank, that is pretty much it. Once sexually mature, they will dominate about 25 gallons worth of space. You cannot put any aggressive of semi aggressive fish (e.g. damsel) in or you will have problems. I know this is not what you want to hear, but trust me, it will work out that way.

lostintheocean
07/19/2010, 10:11 AM
with two clown and all that rock you tank is very maxed out