PDA

View Full Version : Fuge question

Allmost
07/16/2010, 10:19 AM
Hello all
so I have a fuge in my sump, with about " of DSB and cehato on top, but I want to remove it as there are not enough nutritions for them.

so wanted to replace it wth a really shallow sand bed (or maybe not) and some live rock rubble. question :would adding new LR rubble to the tank have any bad effects ? mini cycle ? how do I avoid it ? I want the LR rubble in so that my pods and mysids and other creatures have a room lol

so was thiking of doing something else with it as well.

would it be fine if I stick a power head in there as well, and make it a little frag tank ? I have a MH pendent as well I can install on it :D

sounds good ?

my LFS is advertising 20 bucks SPS colonies !!!! that means I gotta frag all mine to open up more room :D lol would transfering frags from T5 lighitng to MH be a stress ? would 2 T5 HO work better on the Fuge ? rather than a 150 W MH

LifeAquatic
07/16/2010, 01:24 PM
I would say yes to all questions. Sounds like a project in the works. I think the live rock rubble would be ok to throw in there if its been clean. ( no dead stuff on it).

running a metal halide under the stand might get hot. I was thnking of getting one of those par 38 led bulbs. Think that might work good for frags and give me a chance to test the crees performance.

I use a shallow sand bed in my fuge with Cheato. Works great.

Allmost
07/16/2010, 01:29 PM
I would say yes to all questions. Sounds like a project in the works. I think the live rock rubble would be ok to throw in there if its been clean. ( no dead stuff on it).

running a metal halide under the stand might get hot. I was thnking of getting one of those par 38 led bulbs. Think that might work good for frags and give me a chance to test the crees performance.

I use a shallow sand bed in my fuge with Cheato. Works great.

if I get the LFS to give me rubble in a bag with water, then no die offs right ?

I might be adding more creatures which is good.

yea I agree with the MH ! specially under the stand, hmm, could even cause fire or insrease temp so much glass would bend :S okay MH is out lol I will start with 2 T5 HO and see how it goes as I already have that fixture lol

thanks for your reply :)

jestersix
07/16/2010, 01:29 PM
Agreed that teh MH under the stand will get hot pretty fast. LEDs or T5 seem like a better bet if you are planning on making it a frag tank.

Nanook
07/16/2010, 02:49 PM
[moved]

Levito
07/16/2010, 03:05 PM
I would expect some sort of die off on the rock, even if it was in a bag with water. I'd probably keep it in another tank/tub with flow for a week before putting it in the fuge.