PDA

View Full Version : 120 Gallon...Angel Options?

Adam S
07/16/2010, 04:42 PM
:uzi: Alright so i got a 120 gallon 60x18x25 and wanted some angels. Im planning on a niger trigger, dogface puffer and a snowflake eel so far. I was interested in a majestic angel because it seems most fitting of the larger angels which i like alot. I also wanted maybe a dwarf angel so i was wondering which was the hardiest and best suited for what im planning. Thanks

GoingPostal
07/16/2010, 05:40 PM
That trigger and puffer won't fit in that tank, I'd have them both in mine if they didn't get so large. Toby puffer and trigger that stays around 10 inches would be better. Go for some moderate sized fish instead of monsters and you can fit more in. Dwarf angel, hawkfish, large clown, lots of wrasses, small tang. I like pairs and groups as well.

Adam S
07/16/2010, 06:09 PM
Well i do like the puffer and if theres a problem it can be taken back to my lfs. The trigger i dont know which to pick i decided niger tho because of it more gentle behavior. Also what do you think about a pair of maroons?

AngelAddict
07/16/2010, 09:11 PM
The puffer might be ok, the trigger won't. When small, niger's are tame, but they get huge and get very aggressive. As far as angels, the majestic might be a bit too big. Something like the medium angels like the bluespot/cream etc. Or look into dwarfs.

Adam S
07/16/2010, 09:50 PM
see i know the niger can get big but its niger or humu n humus r alot meaner although stay smaller right? I mean the option for returning is always there so i guess thats something to think about. Also what do you think about a pair of maroon clows cause theyr bigger so i thought less likely to take a hit but will they terrorize other fish?

AngelAddict
07/17/2010, 05:33 AM
Yes maroons are very aggressive!

Adam S
07/17/2010, 01:35 PM
:thumbdown i love maroon clowns but i had a feeling they could be too aggressive. Hmm other options?

AngelAddict
07/17/2010, 02:36 PM
They can work with triggers and puffers, it all depends on your setup. Those clowns are one of the few That fit into aggressive tanks. So I'm not saying get rid of them.

Adam S
07/17/2010, 03:25 PM
alright so i will get at least one maroon for sure then. Basically this is my idea...i want 2 big main fish which are the puffer n trigger and then i want some more medium fish to small.

AngelAddict
07/17/2010, 04:34 PM
What about a dogface puffer, bluethroat trigger, maroon clown and a couple of damsels?

Adam S
07/17/2010, 09:56 PM
i like the idea but for some reason the shape of the blue jaws dont attract me as much as the others :sad2:

AngelAddict
07/18/2010, 08:44 AM
You could probably do a very small huma, they grow slow, but one day it can snap and kill your fish.

lesleybird
07/22/2010, 01:04 AM
Hi, In my 190 gallon tank I have 4 inch Majestic angel, 4 inch Regal angel, 3 inch Bellus female angel, Coral Beauty pygme angel, Flame pygme angel, a royal gramma, a small red and purple wrasse, lawnmower blenny, and a cleaner goby and a true percula clown. I am fully stocked at this point I will stop adding fish. I find if you over stock that all the fish get sick or have problems getting along. I am very lucky that my fish are all getting along at this point. Make sure that you add the largest angel last, and that you stick to the ones that get under 12 inches full grown. My Coral Beauty did kind of bully the flame for the first week but then calmed down. I agree with the others that say that some of the fish you listed are too agressive or get too big. I have had luck with getting my Majestics from the Live Aquaria Diver's Den as they make sure that they keep them for several weeks and that they are healthy and eating. Once you start with a healthy one I have found mine to be almost as hearty as a dammsel. The Regal angels are really difficult to find one that eats. Only about a third of these fish will eat in captivity. I finally got one that eats from the Diver's Den this week. They sent it in two whole gallons of water in the bag!! Got my Bellus and flame from their too.
After ten years in this hobby I have finally found happiness by killing all of my live rock and removing all snails, worms and crabs so that I can treat the ich with Cupramine in the main tank. I hardly miss the inverts and don't loose whole tanks of expensive fish to ich anymore. Lesley

chjay00
07/22/2010, 11:15 AM
Hi, In my 190 gallon tank I have 4 inch Majestic angel, 4 inch Regal angel, 3 inch Bellus female angel, Coral Beauty pygme angel, Flame pygme angel, a royal gramma, a small red and purple wrasse, lawnmower blenny, and a cleaner goby and a true percula clown. I am fully stocked at this point I will stop adding fish. I find if you over stock that all the fish get sick or have problems getting along. I am very lucky that my fish are all getting along at this point. Make sure that you add the largest angel last, and that you stick to the ones that get under 12 inches full grown. My Coral Beauty did kind of bully the flame for the first week but then calmed down. I agree with the others that say that some of the fish you listed are too agressive or get too big. I have had luck with getting my Majestics from the Live Aquaria Diver's Den as they make sure that they keep them for several weeks and that they are healthy and eating. Once you start with a healthy one I have found mine to be almost as hearty as a dammsel. The Regal angels are really difficult to find one that eats. Only about a third of these fish will eat in captivity. I finally got one that eats from the Diver's Den this week. They sent it in two whole gallons of water in the bag!! Got my Bellus and flame from their too.
After ten years in this hobby I have finally found happiness by killing all of my live rock and removing all snails, worms and crabs so that I can treat the ich with Cupramine in the main tank. I hardly miss the inverts and don't loose whole tanks of expensive fish to ich anymore. Lesley

Lesley,
I have simular set up. I got a couple of questions.
1. Which one did you add first Majestic or Regal angel?
2. How long have you had your Regal?

Thanks,
Jay

Adam S
07/23/2010, 03:40 AM
well i guess il be passing on the large angels. Can anyone help me out with a list that wont completely overstock the tank? I would like it to at least contain a dogface puffer or a trigger so any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

chjay00
07/23/2010, 10:41 AM
well i guess il be passing on the large angels. Can anyone help me out with a list that wont completely overstock the tank? I would like it to at least contain a dogface puffer or a trigger so any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

If you really want a Majestic Angel, get a small one. I would then focus on the landsacpe. Make sure there alot hiding space but more open area for swiming, this can be tricky to balance out. The Majestic would eliminate the rest of your fish list, but he would be the centerpeice and I would surround him with smaller fish.

Majestic Angel
Fantail Orange Filefish
Saddleback or blue spotted puffer
Lemonpeel or Flame angel
2 different Fairy wrasse (make sure you have a cover for your
tank)

Kahuna Tuna
07/23/2010, 10:47 PM
Majestic Angel
Fantail Orange Filefish
Saddleback or blue spotted puffer
Lemonpeel or Flame angel
2 different Fairy wrasse (make sure you have a cover for your
tank)

This would be a very nice selection for a 120, the only fish I might look at replacing would be the majestic, they are the smallest and mellowest of the pomacantus genus but they still get too big for a 120 IMO and there are a bunch of better mid size angels that max out at 6-10 inches. The meredithi (I just got one and what a beautiful fish), the blueline (another spectacular fish, I just picked up a juvie for the fuge), the blue spotted, the flagfin (one of my all time favorite fish), the regal, poma, cream, griffis, and a few others are the ideal size for a 120. Most all of these species would also get along with a dwarf angel as well. My majestic would certainly be too rowdy for a 120 and I am hoping my 180 is large enough for him in the long term.

I love big triggers and puffers but wont do them in my tanks, my fish list is too community oriented and I have some pretty passive fish so I go with the closely related filefish (I just love these fish, so interesting and cool looking) instead of triggers and there are a host of beautiful small puffers in the 3-4 inch range that are as personable and beautiful as their larger cousins. I love your wish list but would scale it down to fit the 120. Do a mid size angel as a centerpiece, you coud do a pair of bristletail filefish or even a few different other species (I like the saddle mimic and orangetail files), and get any of the smaller species of puffers that wont outgrow your tank. With the smaller fish and smaller bioload you might even do a pair of dwarf angels.

Adam S
07/24/2010, 12:28 AM
i like the community idea but i also like the idea of a few big predators. I do want a larger angel and would consider one but it seems all the ones im interested in i would not be able to keep. Um just at a loss really haha.

chjay00
07/24/2010, 04:27 AM
hmmmm... you want some predators too.
Ok lets try this list.

Harlequin tusk (my favorite fish)
Scribbled Angel or Black Velvet Angel
Flame hawkfish
Fantail orange Filefish
Saddle puffer

Kahuna Tuna
07/24/2010, 12:01 PM
Honestly I dont think a 120 is big enough for a large pomacanthus or holacanthus angel or any but a few large predators but there are a lot of smaller options that would fit that tank and you could easily do an aggressive community mix.

Adam S
07/24/2010, 06:37 PM
I do like the idea of an agressive community thats why i would settle without a trigger but i want at least a dogface puffer. I want a tang also and i was thinking of a purple tang, hippo tang or yellow tang. I was also thinking a snowflake eel because i find eels really interesting to watch.