PDA

View Full Version : High TDS Need Some Help

saltym3
07/16/2010, 08:49 PM
I have been buying RO water from my LFS for years now and just received my TDS 1 reader today and very concerned. I got the following readings:
tap water 182
filtered water 182
Nestle Pure Life bottled water 62
RO water 155! ?

I have 2 7 gallon jugs that I store the water in for top offs and both jugs were giving me 155. I tested the water in a clean cup and not in the jug. Do these readings sound correct? I am concerned about the RO and not sure if the tester is working right since the readings seem really high. Could there be something in the jugs messing up my reading causing the water to be bad? They are stored in a closet, no sunlight, cool and dry. I am wondering if my LFS is selling me tap water as RO.

teebs
07/16/2010, 10:09 PM
I have been buying RO water from my LFS for years now and just received my TDS 1 reader today and very concerned. I got the following readings:
tap water 182
filtered water 182
Nestle Pure Life bottled water 62
RO water 155! ?

I have 2 7 gallon jugs that I store the water in for top offs and both jugs were giving me 155. I tested the water in a clean cup and not in the jug. Do these readings sound correct? I am concerned about the RO and not sure if the tester is working right since the readings seem really high. Could there be something in the jugs messing up my reading causing the water to be bad? They are stored in a closet, no sunlight, cool and dry. I am wondering if my LFS is selling me tap water as RO.

To test your TDS meter, you can buy a bottle of distilled water and test the TDS. It should range from 0-5ppm.

RO water basically should have TDS in the single digit ranges or if the TDS of the tap water is high it could be in the 10s or 20s ppm.

Jstdv8
07/16/2010, 10:11 PM
wow, I'd go raise holy hell witht aht fish store.
Do you have algae problems?
I've heard of this before where the LFS doesnt change the membranes because of cost but they just keep on selling the stuff. Sad

outy
07/17/2010, 12:11 AM
refund time

saltym3
07/17/2010, 07:48 AM
I have been battling algae problems over the years but never though to test the water that I have been using for years from the same LFS. I was hoping that maybe the jugs were causing the high reading and not the actual water from the LFS or that the TDS meter was not calibrated correctly.

I did test the TDS meter with distilled water and it read 002 so I suppose the meter is calibrated correctly. Could the containers I keep them in affect the readings at all?

rireuter
07/17/2010, 09:29 AM
not likely, most likely your LFS hasn't changed their filters in their ro/di unit. you msy want to look at bulkreefsupply.com and look into getting your own ro/di unit, i know ro/di water isn't that expensive form the store, but all the time you save from running around sure makes it worth it, and you can also take care of it!!!

jcolletteiii
07/17/2010, 09:38 AM
TDS of tap water is usually much higher than 20. The TDS of my tap water is around 216. After if goes through my RODI it is down to 0, though. Sounds like your LFS RODI needs a new membrane and DI ion exchange resin.

saltym3
07/17/2010, 09:51 AM
crap. I wonder how long I have been using bad water for. I have been getting water there for years. I really want to go with my own unit except I live in a condo and dont have a dedicated sink for the unit.

HighlandReefer
07/17/2010, 10:10 AM
You can use distilled water from the grocery, but it may be more expensive. There are some small rodi units sold specifically to work which attach temporarily to your sink faucet and can be removed after your done.

saltym3
07/17/2010, 04:02 PM
just an update. I went to another LFS today and purchased RO water. Filled up in the same jug and tested when I got home and was 004. Alot different than the 150 I was getting from the previous LFS. I am wondering if the reading will change much if it sits in the jug after a week or two as I don't need to use it right now.

bertoni
07/17/2010, 04:29 PM
The reading might change some as carbon dioxide dissolves into the water, but that's not going to cause any problems. Some ions might leach from the container as well, but that seems to be safe enough, too.

tgray3
07/17/2010, 04:48 PM
Here's a link to portable RO/DI units that screw onto the faucet. I'm not in a condo but don't have a dedicated sink or fish room either. I've been using the 50GPD unit for 2 years and it works well for me.

http://www.purewaterclub.com/