PDA

View Full Version : new tank with some hermits

keeganpsp
07/17/2010, 01:42 AM
alright so i took care of that long haired green algae, and i also did a 10 gal water change in my 55 to just to give it some stability, now i set the tank up yesterday with some precured live rock and some live sand including about 15 or 20 gals of already been used saltwater that came with the rock i bought. the tank looks a whole lot better since the water change and the hermits the girl gave me when i bought the rock seem to be moving around alot more instead of just huddling up in groups in the rocks in groups.now i've noticed that they've been snacking off the rock and sifting through the sand a bit but is that all they need to eat and sustain life or what?

let me know what you think.

AaronM
07/17/2010, 04:59 AM
I think they'll be o.k. When i started dosing organic carb, like vodka etc, all my algae dissapeared and i was worried about my crabs and snails not getting enough food. Its been probably a month now, and they seem to be o.k.

If they're moving around and rock scraping, then they're happy!

They should eat whatever your fish miss, as well as algae, and whatever else they find on their little missions, hence use as cleanup crew.

No worries i reckon.

keeganpsp
07/17/2010, 02:26 PM
yeah that sounds about right, i mean they're moving around the tank and sifting through the sand and consatantly picking at the rock so i guess they're doing pretty good especially compared to thursday, i had bought about 70 lbs of rock from a friend and she threw in like 24 hermits, so when i set up my sand and my rock and poured the water in and threw them in too, everything seems to be running fine and the chemicals are balancing out pretty well so i guess just leave 'em be huh?