PDA

View Full Version : which commercial Mg supplements contain MgCl2

Gary Majchrzak
07/17/2010, 07:58 AM
a lot of the commercially available Mg supplements for the reefkeeping hobby contain all (or mostly) magnesium sulfate (MgSO4).

Do any commercially marketed Mg supplements contain magnesium chloride (MgCl2)?

If any, which ones?

HighlandReefer
07/17/2010, 09:58 AM
Gary,

I don't recall any of the companies that sell over the counter mag supplements that specify exactly what mix of mag chloride and mag sulfate are in their product. SeaChem's simply states a blend of the two. I suppose if I had to buy a mag supplement from a LFS, then I would buy the SeaChem mag supplement since it is a least a mix of the two. Over the counter is expensive. :)

www.bulkreefsupply.com sells mag chloride and mag sulfate separately so you can mix them at the proper ratio depending on what is used to supplement calcium to maintain balance.

Boomer
07/17/2010, 12:21 PM
Gary

You can get it form Claude at FM. Just tell him I sent you in a PM

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=569

http://faunamarindirect.com/fauna-balling.php

elijaher
07/17/2010, 03:21 PM
Seachem advantage magnesium.

Boomer
07/17/2010, 03:25 PM
That has Sulfate in it :)

bertoni
07/17/2010, 04:26 PM
The SeaChem contains only magnesium sulfate, no magnesium chloride.

Gary Majchrzak
07/17/2010, 04:40 PM
The SeaChem contains only magnesium sulfate, no magnesium chloride.
this is what I thought.

Thanks for all of the input, guys! :)

elijaher
07/17/2010, 06:00 PM
Seachem advantage magnesium: Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium is a concentrated blend of magnesium, chloride and sulfate salt designed to restore depleted levels of magnesium with minimal impact on the ionic ratios found in natural seawater. Unlike other liquid magnesium supplements. From Foster web site. If this is not true it's just expensive epsom salt.

happysak
07/17/2010, 06:24 PM
Kent Marine

Gary Majchrzak
07/17/2010, 06:37 PM
Kent Marine
I can't recall Kent listing the ingredients on their offering. Does anyone have a bottle handy so they can rattle off the ingredients?

bertoni
07/17/2010, 06:45 PM
The Kent is fine, and has a lot of magnesium chloride. That's what I used until I went DIY. :)

bertoni
07/17/2010, 06:59 PM
The SeaChem is expensive epsom salt. They have posted in this forum on the subject, although that's not quite what they called their product. It contains no magnesium chloride, just a bit of sodium chloride.

elijaher
07/17/2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks I won't be getting it no more next time kent marine.

Boomer
07/17/2010, 08:19 PM
SeaChem MSDS. An MSDS does not lie :)

Blend of magnesium sulfate and sodium chloride

Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium.
http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/ReefAdvantageMagnesium.doc.pdf

Boomer
07/17/2010, 08:52 PM
Gary

Forgot to post this :(

Kent

Contents:
Deionized water containing the following elements (as ions): magnesium, chlorine, sulfur, calcium, potassium, bromine, strontium, boron, fluorine, lithium, rubidium, iodine, iron, molybdenum, zinc, nickel, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium.

elijaher
07/18/2010, 01:54 AM
As ions ok which product has mgcl2?

Typlus5
07/18/2010, 05:51 AM
I initially started with the over the counter until hitting the Chemistry forum...started the DIY (which I thought was complicated) and would never consider the over the counter items. Even if it has "some" Mg Cloride I think it's best to know exactly how much and that it's a proven receipe. I have a tank full of coraline algae and growing corals to prove it.

Gary Majchrzak
07/18/2010, 06:25 AM
Even if it has "some" Mg Cloride I think it's best to know exactly how much.
no doubt about that! :)

It's been a long time since I've used a commercially prepared Mg supplement.

Fishamatank
07/18/2010, 08:49 AM
What is the advantage of mg chloride over sulfate? Why mix the two?
I have not found a reason to dose Mg as of yet, but my system is leaning more and more SPS all the time, so it is likely only a matter of time...

Gary Majchrzak
07/18/2010, 05:40 PM
I have not found a reason to dose Mg as of yet, but my system is leaning more and more SPS all the time, so it is likely only a matter of time...
I'll defer your question to the experts that run this forum but I'd like to point out that maintenance of the proper levels of Mg is important to all reef invertebrates and (especially) coralline alga.

Fishamatank
07/18/2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah I know it's important, but water changes seem to have kept up with the demand in my system so far.

kevinpratt823
07/18/2010, 06:28 PM
The Kent "Tech M Magnesium" is great stuff, IMO. I did the BRS mix for a while, early on I had a little Bryopsis, so I brought Mag up to 1500 with the BRS mix for a month with no results. A week or two into switching over under somebody's advice, the Bryopsis stopped coming back. Now I run a reactor, and keep the Tech M on hand to make adjustments when needed, and for my QT tank.

toddsmith1
07/18/2010, 07:12 PM
You can get food grade Magnesium Chloride from a guy on ebay and a 5 lb bucket of epsom salt at Sams club for $5.88. for about $20.00 I have enough to last me at least 6 months

elijaher
07/18/2010, 07:49 PM
What is the mix ratio on magnesium chloride/sulfate.

HighlandReefer
07/18/2010, 08:09 PM
Mag Supplementing Recommendations:

Mag sulfate and mag chloride are both important when increasing and/or maintaining your mag level. The mag sulfate will increase your sulfate whereas mag chloride will increase your chloride in your water. The idea is to keep the sulfate and chloride in balance in your water column. This leads to using them in the proper ratio to maintain the proper balance.

Randy calculated the ratios to maintain the proper balance of chloride to sulfate. It will depend on what you are using to maintain your calcium with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are using Calcium chloride (two-part) to maintain your calcium, then use:

5 cups of mag chloride + 3 cups of mag sulfate in a total of one gallon with rodi water. Mix and you can add the particles in the solution.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are using kalk water or reactors to maintain your calcium, then use:

7.25 cups mag chloride + .75 cups of mag sulfate.

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to bump up your mag level in your tank or you want to increase the mag level in your salt mix or natural seawater, then use:

This is perfectly balanced with what is found in sea water and does not take into consideration any additions of chloride from calcium additives.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are using reactors (and/or kalk water) and also supplement with calcium chloride, then perhaps a good ratio to use would be:

7 cups mag chloride + 1 cup mag sulfate. :)

Boomer
07/18/2010, 09:16 PM
the proper levels of Mg is important to all reef invertebrates and (especially) coralline alga and reduces abiotic precipitation.

Sulfate has an issue of increasing more over time. So, you are using a mix to keep a balance between Sulfate - Chloride. If you do a 30 % WC / m this is not an issue.

taylor t
07/28/2010, 03:14 PM
Mag Supplementing Recommendations:

Mag sulfate and mag chloride are both important when increasing and/or maintaining your mag level. The mag sulfate will increase your sulfate whereas mag chloride will increase your chloride in your water. The idea is to keep the sulfate and chloride in balance in your water column. This leads to using them in the proper ratio to maintain the proper balance.

Randy calculated the ratios to maintain the proper balance of chloride to sulfate. It will depend on what you are using to maintain your calcium with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are using Calcium chloride (two-part) to maintain your calcium, then use:

5 cups of mag chloride + 3 cups of mag sulfate in a total of one gallon with rodi water. Mix and you can add the particles in the solution.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are using kalk water or reactors to maintain your calcium, then use:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to bump up your mag level in your tank or you want to increase the mag level in your salt mix or natural seawater, then use:

This is perfectly balanced with what is found in sea water and does not take into consideration any additions of chloride from calcium additives.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are using reactors (and/or kalk water) and also supplement with calcium chloride, then perhaps a good ratio to use would be:

7 cups mag chloride + 1 cup mag sulfate. :)

Thank you! I just spent a while looking for this info! ...and found it!... I found the ratios, just wanted an explaination I understood.

jdm1114
10/26/2010, 02:12 PM
I use kalk water on a drip all day for all my evap and two part every night to keep my calcium and alk in line. What ratio of mag chloride to mag. sulfate will I need to use?

mr.maroonsalty
10/26/2010, 06:19 PM
I'd do the ~7:1 ratio, maybe a wee bit heavier handed with the epsom depending on how much Ca the tank is needing in addition to the limewater, because your Ca supp is likely calcium chloride. I now get it, and took the recipe for granted. If one is adding chloride to the tank (2-part) it needs more sulphate which it gets from the 5:3 magnesium supp; with lime the tank isn't getting and chloride, hence the larger ratio.

bertoni
10/26/2010, 06:38 PM
If you're using a commercial two-part, then I'd use the 10:1 ratio. For the DIY two-part, I think the ratio is 5:3. The kalk will reduce the amount of two-part dosed, but by the time that the full gallon of each supplement is used, the tank will need the gallon of 5:3 magnesium supplement to rebalance the ionic content, assuming no water changes. :) If you're doing regular water changes, say 10-20% a month, I don't think that the magnesium supplement will be critical.

jdm1114
10/26/2010, 08:08 PM
Alright thank you for the responses, very informative.

I am using Seachem Reef Fusion

I have a 220 System (180 display) with sps and lps. I use 20-25 ml of reef fusion 1 and 2 every night.

I drip around 2 gallons of limewater every 24 hours.

I do 25 percent water changes every other week with aquavitro salinity.

I guess I am worrying too much about my mag... last time I tested it was 1200. I would prefer to have it at 1400.

jdm1114
10/26/2010, 08:51 PM
Ok I just tested major parameters

- Calcium: 400 ppm

- Alkalinity: 3.5 meq/L or 9.8 dkh

- Magnesium: 1250 ppm

- Specific Gravity: 1.026

I haven't dosed any mag for about a month as I am all out, I used to use bulk reef supply mag at the 5:3 ratio. Maybe I don't need to worry about mag. What do you guys think?

mr.maroonsalty
10/26/2010, 09:47 PM
If you're using a commercial two-part, then I'd use the 10:1 ratio. For the DIY two-part, I think the ratio is 5:3. The kalk will reduce the amount of two-part dosed, but by the time that the full gallon of each supplement is used, the tank will need the gallon of 5:3 magnesium supplement to rebalance the ionic content, assuming no water changes. :) If you're doing regular water changes, say 10-20% a month, I don't think that the magnesium supplement will be critical.

That is true at the end of the gallon a 5:3 would be needed, but in between bwcause of the lime wouldn't the 7.25:.75 (~10:1) be in order? Like also suggested I do regular water changes and have never needed a gallon of Mg mix to make corrections, so I'm just going to punt this one away for now and simpply keep my test kit reading strong.

1250 is a tad low; I believe it would be better bumped up a wee bit, if not for any other reason than I wouldn't want it lower.

bertoni
10/26/2010, 10:06 PM
Well, in theory what you'd want to do would be to use the gallon of magnesium supplement as you're using the two-part, in a fixed rate, assuming the tank is consuming the magnesium in an appropriate amount. In reality, all the choices we make are compromises. I'd stick with the 5:3 ratio and do water changes. :)