PDA

View Full Version : Which Light/Skimmer for a 55g Reef Tank?

steveojak
07/17/2010, 01:09 PM
New to the forums,

I had to take down my 55g Reef Tank, and would like to start over again right. I would like to know what skimmer would be best for such a tank, and one that would be adequate for use in a larger tank sometime down the road. I'd also like to know what type of lighting to use, I was looking @ the ATI Powermodule 48" models, but I do not know the amount of bulbs I would need.

I would like to be able to house sps corals in the tank.

gonpostal
07/17/2010, 01:48 PM
I use an Octopus Extreme 160 in my 90 gallon tank, and it does a great job. One of the main reasons I bought it was because it has a small footprint, which is something you may need to consider if you're going to have a sump under a narrow tank like a 55 gallon. Octopus NWB (needlewheel) skimmers and HOB skimmers also have a good reputation.
As far as lighting goes, if you want to save a few bucks, you can go with the ATI Sunpower instead. IMO, 4 bulbs should be enough for a 55 unless you're planning on getting SPS that demand very intense lighting. In that case, I'd get 6 bulbs. Any more than that, and you'll have to go with a Powermodule. The fixture would be much wider than your tank.
BTW, welcome to the forums!

steveojak
07/19/2010, 09:49 AM
Anyone have other suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost of the skimmer under 400$. I have been looking @ the SWC models, but again I am not sure which is best.

sante210
07/19/2010, 12:35 PM
I have the AquaC Remora Pro on my 55 and I like it. It took a few weeks for me to get it dailed in but now it pulls a lot out.

Also 2 weeks ago I got the 4 bulb wave point T-5 and I'm liking it so far. In the 2 weeks my few corals (Mushrooms and polyps) have been growing.