PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Rookie 29 Gallon Stocking Option

Chriskk
07/17/2010, 01:23 PM
I've been keeping freshwater tanks for 17 years, and wanted to take the dive into saltwater. I decided to set up a 29 gallon I had in starage (30x18x12). For Equipment I'm running a Rena XP2 for a sump with Live rock pieces and floss, a Bak Pak 2 protein skimmer, and a tetra whisper 45 HOB filter, and 2 Koralia 2 Powerheads. I have 40 pounds of live sand, and 35 pounds of cured live rock. I'm going to start it as a FOWLR, but intend to make it a reef over time. I know I want to put a pair of Clowns in there, but not sure what else. I have a couple of questions.

1.) I'm thinking the equipment I have is pretty good, and will do the job, am I missing anything?

2.) What other fish beside the clowns can I put in there? (Keep in mind this will eventually be a reef tank.

3.) Suggestions for the clean up crew?

4.) Suggestions on a good light fixture for a 29 gallon reef?

5.) What are some easy corals I can start out with?

I'm sure I will think of some other stuff but this will do for now, any help would be much appreciated.

MCCOOL
07/17/2010, 01:44 PM
1 - the equipment is adequate, just make sure you keep the rena and the whisper clean. Doesn't look like you're missing anything imperative.

2 - firefish, gobies, wrasses, blennies, the list goes on. just make sure you have a tight fitting lid, as a lot of fish will jump out.

3 - astrea, cerith, nerite, trochus, nassarius snails are all good choices.

4 - a 24" 4 bulb T5 fixture will allow you to keep most anything you decide to try.

5 - mushrooms, zoanthids, leathers, palythoas...

zachfishman
07/17/2010, 05:21 PM
I just started a 29 myself. A 4-bulb T5, or a secondhand 2x65watt PC hood are great lighting options. I currently have two clown gobies, a molly miller blenny, and am planning on adding a possum wrasse. Since you haven't done SW yet, I highly recommend a sixline wrasse. Perfect fish for a 29, cheap, beautiful, and very entertaining (just get that hood).

Chriskk
07/17/2010, 07:57 PM
:) Thanks for the replies so far more suggestions welcome

Chriskk
07/23/2010, 06:46 PM
I've decided which fish I want to go in here. Let Me know what you think, and which order I should add.
Ocellaris Clownfish X2
Lawnmower Blenny
Yellow Watchman Goby
Six Line Wrasse
Purple Firefish

zachfishman
07/23/2010, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure how the lawnmower and the watchman will interact, I hear lawnmowers can be pretty territorial. I'd also nix either the wrasse or the firefish for the sake of space. And make sure you cover the tank, both the wrasse and the firefish are jumpers.

greech
07/23/2010, 08:11 PM
Nice to see you here on RC Chriskk.

Chriskk
07/27/2010, 06:26 PM
This is the light I plan to get...what do you guys think? http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_Su...p/rcu01151.htm

Thanks Greech :)

greech
07/27/2010, 07:15 PM
Link doesn't work but looks like you are looking at the Sundial? I have that light and really like it. It does not have individual reflectors (bent around each bulb) but I have not had any issues with SPS in the upper third of the tank and all my LPS are doing great as well. The built in timers and moonlights and only one power cord are really nice too. I used the stock bulbs for about 9 months and switched to ATIs which really helped with color. Good choice IMO.

Chriskk
07/27/2010, 07:24 PM
yeah it's a sundial, built in timers, and led moonlights sold me. $254.99 for "30" fixture seems pretty reasonable to me. Thanks alot greech, you've been alot of help on both forums!! Lets see if the link works now. http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_SunDial_T5_Current_USA_p/rcu01151.htm

Scuba_Steve
07/27/2010, 07:45 PM
Yes it has individual reflectors. Ok its one reflector, but its bent to surround each bulb. Same difference. I would ditch the canister, get a decent amount of rock, and good flow. At least 20x turnover, preferably 30x+. The skimmer you are looking at is subpar. It will do you for the time, but I always say buy the right stuff the first time. Save some money, buy about 25-30 lbs of dead rock, and 10-15 live. I hope an Ro/di is on the list too, or at least a whole bunch of distilled water from the grocery store.

coolali16
07/27/2010, 07:58 PM
I dnt think u should get a lawnmower blenny. Nor the sixline wrasse if u wanna keep firefish in there. I think clown gobies are really cute and would be perfect In a 29 gal. Also FW mollies acclimated to SW would be ok in that tank and they're reef safe just like the clown goby.

Jambi40-6&2
07/27/2010, 09:46 PM
I really like my lawnmower blenny. He dosen't bother anyone and my two tangs leave him alone. Sometimes fish have slightly different personalities. If you decide to get one, it is best to wait til your tank matures. I recomend a pistol shrimp/watchman goby combo.

Chriskk
07/28/2010, 08:12 AM
I've got a shrimp goby combo coming in today!!

Chriskk
07/29/2010, 09:38 AM
Got the Yellow Watchman, and Pistol Shrimp yesterday. The goby was doing great yesterday swimming in the open etc. When I turned the light on this morning, he was nowhere to be found, tank is covered, so didn't jump out. Hopefully he just found a really good hiding place!!

LowersMyBP
07/29/2010, 09:48 AM
shrimp probably built them a hole/cave and they are both hiding in it. look carefully for small openings or subtle changes in your sand landscape. I once had to drill a hole bigger in a rock to let a goby out cuz the shrimp had dug him into a hollow rock that they entered from underneath and then covered up the hole. The goby now is able to get out through the top, the shrimp still goes underground to get out most times.

if not in cave, look in overflows (don't know that you have any) or anywhere else in your equipment they may be able to get.

Sugar Magnolia
07/29/2010, 09:49 AM
That's normal behavior for watchmans. It's just hiding, getting comfortable in it's new home.

Chriskk
07/30/2010, 10:45 AM
If found him and the shrimp last night made a nice little burrow under a rock

bogd19
07/30/2010, 06:45 PM
The guy at my local fish store sold me a biocube protein skimmer for 29 gallon tank which is not a bio cube. It is not a great skimmer at all. I am looking into getting an Octopus HOB skimmer.

mslagle
07/31/2010, 01:29 AM
I have a 29 gallon and had a similar stocking plan to your own.

However, I would like to suggest looking into the tailspot blenny instead of the lawnmower. Great personality, stays smaller, and more colorful than the lawnmower.

Hope you're enjoying your tank.