PDA

View Full Version : Finished my LED fixture on my 60 cube YEAH!!

mscarpena
07/17/2010, 02:13 PM
Well I am very proud of myself. After a few months and some help from a few folks on here I have finally finished my 24 LED fixture. I had a few hick ups here and there, but for the most part it came out perfect in the end. It only took me a few months do to other house projects. I probably could have finished it in about 1 weeks time had I of not revamped my entire backyard and put in a monster patio myself. If anyone is thinking about it I really encourage them to try it. I absolutely love the color and the shimmer effect.

fonzer
07/17/2010, 03:23 PM
congrats! i and the rest of us would like to see some pics.

billdogg
07/17/2010, 03:25 PM
I have a 60g cube that needs an upgrade to the lights. I would love to see some pics too!

mscarpena
07/17/2010, 04:36 PM
So here are the pictures. I just need to say I have only the blues on with the whites just so they are on. I am doing this because I bought a few corals and they were under 2 18" T-5's for a few weeks. I do not want to burn the corals. I am acclimating them to the new LEDS. I have included a few pics of the whites turned up so you can see how it will look. Thanks for the interests.

mscarpena
07/17/2010, 04:42 PM
Pics

mscarpena
07/17/2010, 05:00 PM
A few more pics.

mscarpena
07/17/2010, 05:24 PM
Here are the pictures of how it will look in a few weeks with the whites on. Also included is a pic of my sons crab hitching a ride on a snail. The canopy is of simply design. Basically a square 24X24 and 3 sides open with piano hinges. The cube tank is very tall and I am not so I need lots of access. I keep 2 sides locked with barrel bolt and that keep them secure. I also did not use one large heatsink as most people do. I saved on weight and on LEDS. I have 24 LEDS and most people told me 30 or you will see shadows. I did not want shadows, but also felt 30 LEDS was way over board for LPS. 24 LEDS is plenty bright enough and since I did strips of LEDS the light is very well dispersed and the LEDS are actually further away from each other and get better cooling. I know my wiring job looks wise is not the best, but it works. Also the heatsink strips were a little harder to wire those 2 things are the only negatives I see. My lights are in a hood so seeing some wires does not bother me at all. If you have any questions I would be happy to do my best to answer them.

fonzer
07/17/2010, 06:48 PM
do you have pics of your canopy? just trying to get some ideas. thanks.

sweet pics btw, cant wait for updated pics in the future.

mike_cmu04
07/17/2010, 09:10 PM
Very nice clean looking setup well done.

King_Richard
07/18/2010, 01:25 AM
Did you use xpg's?
If so which optics/lenses did you use and do you have a link?
Also, which lenses did you use on the royal blue's?

My tanks the same size and I would like to stick with 24 led's also but I may end up adding 24 blues to the existing 12 whites with funds permitting. I currently have 12xpg's and 2 actinic flourescents running on it.

Also you should check out mylar film, this stuff is 98% reflective and cheap. You could line the inside of your canopy with it inorder to reflect all light back into it. I've considered doing something similar if I end up putting a full a top on mine but currently I like having an open top for the gas exchange.

mscarpena
07/18/2010, 07:48 AM
I use the Q-5 XR-E's I used 60 degree reflectors on everything. I have 12 white and 12 blues.

If you did 24 blues and 12 whites it would be very blue and the white have higher light output so in that case you my need 36 LEDS.

Mike thanks for the compliment on the clean looking set up that was my goal.

Here is what I used except I got one dimmable ballast. http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-23/24-Premium-LED-Do-dsh-It-dsh-Yourself/Detail

As for the canopy I do not have many pics of it. I am not very good at taking pictures during the process. I have always wanted to, but never remember to.