PDA

View Full Version : any personal experiences with this snail?

agreeive?fish
07/17/2010, 05:38 PM
anybody have any personal experiences with this snail in a reef specificaly what soft corals did you keep it with and what was the outcome.. did it bother your corals or not and if it did which ones did it bother and which ones did it leave alone(impulse buy but can move it to one of my other tanks or one of the sumps or set up its own tank if need be)

tiger cowrie (cypraea tigris)

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+866&pcatid=866

kingfisher62
07/17/2010, 05:42 PM
Hate to see you put it in your sump , it is too beautiful for that!

agreeive?fish
07/17/2010, 05:52 PM
Hate to see you put it in your sump , it is too beautiful for that!

oh the sump of the mini softy reef is in full clear and plain view just under the reef and it would be a simple 30 second ordeal to throw a light on it..so i would still be able to seeit clearlyin the sump from my recliner..but thanks for the comment

ps i can tell you it dosent like it when the lights are on it dives for its cave and stays there until the lights go out then its out and about

agreeive?fish
07/18/2010, 08:09 AM
i thought i would bump this and see if the sunday crowd has any experience with this snail

King_Richard
07/18/2010, 12:23 PM
I bought one a few years ago and my porcupine puffer and triggers ate within two days.

I learned from it although I didn't think they would since they left the mexican turbos alone.

Flame_Angel
07/18/2010, 05:28 PM
As the webpage you linked states, they will eat some anemones, sponges and soft corals. Not worth the risk, in my opinion. In my personal experience, whether they eat corals in your tank or not is up to the dice, since I've seen them coexist with a reef tank with no problems, and I've seen them tear stuff up something fierce.

Keeping it well-fed might help waylay the tendency to eat expensive stuff.

agreeive?fish
07/20/2010, 05:01 AM
update...

well itis cleaning the tank,, the first few days it only moved from place to place after lights out and cleaned nothing i could see but this morning when i turned the roomlights on it has cleaned about 1/3 of the back glass and its still chomping away as i type

the problem is it is eating my green hair algea wich i intentionaly introduced for a critter breeding ground.... i guess ill have to reintro the green hair algea to my sump for my pods to grow in for an eventual mandrin..thats the last time i take the wife and kids with me on a road trip for fish store shopping and allow them to talk me into an inpulse buy and currently its the only tank it can go in without becoming food its self(triggers and puffers in other tanks), at thispoint it has left the corals alone but not saying it will continue this behavior and i have mixed feelings about it eating the hair algea...time for another cup of coffee to get my day going