PDA

View Full Version : Purpel Anthias

mingxu
07/18/2010, 05:40 PM
I have 300g reef tank, and have 9 anthias which are doing well. I brought purpel anthias 15 days ago. It is very beatiful and planing to put into my 300g reef tank. I have OT this purpel anthias at my 29g reef tank. It comes more and more but still very shy, and will rush to hind if approch it. I try different things including live bing shrimps, it seems it stil not eating. It looks healthy and more active, but difficut to let it eat. There is a article at Tropical fish in July,2010 where they reccomend big and mature tank so purpel anthias can pick live copepods, amphipods ect. Please give some advice if anyone has purple anthias. Do I put my purple anthias to my 300g reef tank even if it has not eaten yet, so it can have more chance to pick up some pods ?

euod
07/18/2010, 06:06 PM
It is a hard call to make. They are hard to get to eat but amazingly I got mine to eat pellets now after a month. In a quarantine they seem not to eat and eventually I threw mine into the display tank. The thing is that mine was the only anthias so no harassment from other anthias. I guess if you have an aggressive anthias like tri-color, you will most likely run into trouble where the purple will hide and waste away. You may try to lower your lighting, increase your flow, and feed a variety of food like Rods, mysis, and cyclopeeze.

mingxu
07/18/2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks, I am glad yours eats. How big your display tank? Do yours run away when you approch him?

euod
07/18/2010, 07:55 PM
Display is 180.
At first it hides. I'd say three weeks.
The key to get it to eat is the size of the food as Matt stated and mine start off first with mysis and Rods.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-magazine/71849-boldly-colored-beauties-tuka-anthias.html

mingxu
07/19/2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks again. Thank you for forwarding Matt's article. I will try and hopefully mine will be ok and eating.

mingxu
07/22/2010, 07:47 PM
I transferred my purple anthias to my 300 g reef tank two days ago. He seems doing ok. No other fishes bother him. He comes out and not hinding when I apporch the tank, which is good. He swins lonely most time. Problem is he still not eating. I tried brine, mysis, cloz, ect. I am just worrying he will never takes a bite and will waste away evetually. I will keep try. He seems not intersted in food. How about yours? how long take yours to start eating?