PDA

View Full Version : canon 7d setup

HookedonReef17
07/18/2010, 10:33 PM
Hello everyone i finally got my camera i went with a canon 7d and 100 macro f/2.8L lense. I was wondering if anyone could give me some numbers to set the camera at as a starting point. I bought the camera used and it didn't come with instructions but i was able to get a great deal so i didn't care so much. Thanks

Dino
07/18/2010, 10:51 PM
First I have to say you picked up some awesome equipment to start out with, both lens and body are absolutely top notch.

Second, since it sounds like you're kinda new to the whole DSLR thing I'd suggest starting out with learning to understand the basics. This (http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279514685&sr=8-1) is a book I strongly encourage folks who are still shaky on the basic concepts of photography to pick up. It'll help you understand the different components that go into creating an exposure and what they mean.

Third, since you said it didn't come with any instructions you should be able to go to Canon's site and find online copies of all instruction manuals. If you can't find them I can try and dig them up later :).

IPT
07/19/2010, 01:11 AM
you for sure are going to want to get a manual for that camera. Especially for the focus system if you are new to DSLR and especially Canon. It has a lot of options. It also has a lot of ability to be customized for your specific situation and shooting style.

When it comes to shooting DSLR there are not really any "settings" per say to recommend. To many variables involved. If you are going to do macro though be sure your tripod mounted or you will never get the super sharp images a lot of folk on here post. I think there might even be a sticky about it.

opps, no sticky. I'm sure in one or more of the stickys it does talk about some basics though. It just might be info buried within.

jlt23
07/19/2010, 08:42 AM
Congrats. I have that same camera and lens. I haven't started shooting macro yet or tank pictures yet and I'm still a beginner. Take the advice mentioned above. I've been doing it and learning a lot.

MCary
07/19/2010, 02:01 PM
You can download a manual.

HookedonReef17
07/21/2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks i ordered the book and am trying to find a manual now!