PDA

View Full Version : Would this sump design work?

a.browning
07/19/2010, 01:41 PM
I have a 55 gallon aquarium, well I will soon. I had to get it special ordered. It will be pre drilled. Due to 10.5 inches of internal stand width, I can only make a diy sump basically with 10 gallon tanks. I've been planning designs and this is one I came up with. Basically this includes 2 10 gallon tanks connected with a pipe that overflows with gravity. I thought maybe having 2 pipes as a "just in case" measure, only if it wouldnt compromise the integrity of the pane of glass. Here is my design. It is not drawn to scale, just a rough drawing right now. Thank you very much. Any comments/concerns/advice is greatly appreciated!

evsalty
07/19/2010, 01:45 PM
It will work but I would consider splitting the feed so that you can have the fuge run slower then the skimmer tank.

ebross67
07/19/2010, 01:48 PM
Why have it raised? I would put a bulkhead on the bottom of tank 1 and run 2in PVC to a bulkhead on tank two. Let gravity force the water between tanks. You all ready have one filter sock and a sponge in the baffle. You don't need another.

a.browning
07/19/2010, 01:54 PM
Why have it raised? I would put a bulkhead on the bottom of tank 1 and run 2in PVC to a bulkhead on tank two. Let gravity force the water between tanks. You all ready have one filter sock and a sponge in the baffle. You don't need another.

I guess it would still work that way? I just figured an overflow type design would be better. I had included the second sock in case any particles came from the refugium into the skimmer section.

a.browning
07/19/2010, 02:43 PM
Here is a revised design. Any problems now?

Thanks!!

rockrocco
07/19/2010, 04:54 PM
looks good the slower flow through the fuge the better

Stephen73ta
07/19/2010, 06:05 PM
i wouldn't put a filter sock on the pipe from the fuge to skimmer chamber. you'd trap all your pods.. ;)

uncleof6
07/19/2010, 07:21 PM
Here is a revised design. Any problems now?

Thanks!!

This sump, will not likely function as you intend it too. The first issue is balancing the flow in and out of the "refugium" tank.

You have one drain line. Most likely a "durso" type air/water drain. This will cause you fits also, and the split in the drain, will create more variables. The connecting pipe/drain to the second tank, will also suck air, due to design of the intake, so basically you will have a bubble factory, that will never be stable, or reliable. Seen it too many times.

As far as the socks go, pods are not going to make it out of the refugium, to get stuck in the sock, so that point is moot. :) Aside from that, I find socks to be a useless expense.

If you wish to run multiple tanks, drains go to the main "sump" and you power feed the secondary tank, and use a real drain system, (with overflow and standpipe) from the secondary tank, to the main sump. Although it would still suffer the air/water standpipe, headaches, you would at least achieve a modicum of "balance" between the two tanks.

Oh, and just to stay in character: Putting an open bulkhead in the bottom of a tank, is asking for a flood, unless it is behind a weir. A 2" bulkhead, with a 2" pipe, will drain 5000 gallons an hour, with just a 12" drop. (from water level, to water level) Your air/water mix drain will have no chance of keeping up with it. Neither would your power feed pump. Actually the flood would never happen, the upper tank would never get full enough.

As far as the flow rate through the "fuge" there is NO data available that would indicate that a slower flow rate is better than any other flow rate. That falls in this here category: http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/sheepaid.gif ;)

Ok, nuff said.

Jim

eznet2u
07/19/2010, 10:24 PM
I am of the school, that flow through the refugium should be higher/same as the rest of the sump.

Here is another alternative that you should consider...
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac240/chuckezn/Sump.jpg
This way ALL of the waste gets a chance at the skimmer and Chaeto. The "U" pipe connecting the two tanks will act as a bubble trap. The first tank will act as a "Settling" tank, as most of the Detritus will be contained in it.
(Makes it easier to clean)
This also gives you more room for a top off and any reactors you plan to use.

Just an idea. Oh...and good luck drilling the 10g tanks. I broke 4, trying to get 2 with holes in them...:hammer:

a.browning
07/20/2010, 09:03 AM
Well, I guess I should have assumed that using a multiple sump design would be trickier than I had planned. Thanks for all of your help everyone. I was really hoping to drill just one tank due to hearing how hard 10 gallons are to drill. I could always have it done at a glass shop though. For now, I suppose I'll just use one 10 gallon for a skimmer/return pump combo. Not a substantial water volume increase, but just so I can have an internal skimmer. Since the refugium would've been an "add on" to this portion anyways, I'll just work with this first. Guess I just need to pick a skimmer now! I was deciding between the Octopus and SWC skimmers if anyone has any advice. Thanks!

ebross67
07/20/2010, 04:36 PM
I was referring to two sumps on the same level. I have two water barrels (25g) hooked up in this manner. They work great, even when 800gph is rushing into barrel (A) from barrel (B). They maintain equal water volume (no flood).

THE ROOK
07/20/2010, 05:50 PM
Better to simply have one 20-30 gallon sump than two 10's, IMO. The glass on 10's is very thin & prone to break around the bulkhead. One wrong bump & you'll spend your night cleaning up a mess. Then there's all the water balancing b.s. already discussed.

FrankenReef
07/21/2010, 12:27 AM
I agree with rook. A 20L should fit and alleviate your woes. $20 at Petco. No need to drill, just put in your baffles and go.

JSeymour
07/21/2010, 01:09 AM
It can be done, but it may be more of a pain then it's worth. Personally, I'd build my own sump custom fit for the stand. Acrylic is very easy to work with, and it's a sump, so if it's not pretty, oh well. There is usually a center, vertical back brace on commercial stands just stapled in place. Remove and replace to get your sump in. Go as big and tall as you can remembering you'll need to be able to take equipement out of the stand for maintainence.

SirusX1721
07/21/2010, 06:16 AM
I liked the raised idea since you are using 10gals. Incase of a power outage it will contain more of the overflow from the DT. Slower flow through the fuge is best, so maybe split the flow from the DT to both sides.

SirusX1721
07/21/2010, 06:17 AM
...sry didn't see 2nd picture, lol. Also the 2nd filter sock is not needed IMO.

bach2pilot
07/21/2010, 11:12 AM
I like the raised two tank design (because it's very close to what I have). 10 gal tanks are about impossible to drill IMHO.

If you do plan a refugium with a skimmer, I always recommend that the skimmer outflow comes out upstream of the chaeto chamber to eliminate microbubbles. I have never had luck with baffles - esp if you have some decent flow thru the sump. Just food for thought...