PDA

View Full Version : harlequin shrimp

D.J.'s reef
07/19/2010, 06:08 PM
hey guys i heard that they will eat astrenia stars. is this true? im thinkin about getting a pair of these if they do eat them to help keep my population in check as its become WAY over populated over the years.

BEASTIEPENDENT
07/20/2010, 05:08 PM
Hi there,
elegans and H. picta both feed on starfish – and only starfish. Many get these shrimp to get rid of little Asterinas but when they are done with the Asterinas they'll die. So You should think about giving the shrimp to another aquarist then or to buy a big starfish from time to time.

In some cases they ate some sea urchins too.

EaZy DuZ iT
07/21/2010, 05:09 PM
Yes, i was given the same sadad news a while back. The harlequin shrimp has the look and colors that would put anyone in awe, but for the fact that it eats starfishes ONLY really trips me out, kinda ruined everything!

D.J.'s reef
08/03/2010, 06:35 PM
ya i know they eat starfish only but ive been reading that in a mature tank with tons of astrenia that thats usually enuff to keep one or two depending on the tank size and star population.

also ready of people keeping choco's as feeder stars...doubt i would do that but if i do get a pair i would buy a choco once or twice a month to feed them like ive also read of people doing...

still iffy on it...just curious

Bud Reeferman
08/04/2010, 09:34 PM
I keep a pair of Harlequin. Yes, they are incredibly beautiful. I feed them a small Chocolate Star about every three weeks. Takes them about two weeks to eat the whole thing.

cdeboard
08/05/2010, 02:13 PM
Do you piece up the chocolate star and add a leg here and there or put the whole star in?

JoeBellz
08/05/2010, 02:26 PM
since I don't have a sump or extra tank I usually keep one small sandsifter star in my 55g and add a new one every few weeks after he's done. It's not too bad since my LFS knows I buy the stars for feeding and they only charge $8 per which isn't bad @ $16 a month to keep the shrimp.

Here's some pics of my harley: