PDA

View Full Version : Sand Dwelling Anemone

RLeclerc
07/19/2010, 07:55 PM
Hey ive been researching but i want to hear wat u guys have to say as well... Are they any species of anemone that dwell only in the sand?

2Addicted
07/19/2010, 07:56 PM
There are a few. I thought you got rid of your ritteri because you didnt have enough light? are you planning on getting another anemone without upgrading your light?

RLeclerc
07/19/2010, 08:02 PM
no my light is fine i get rid of the ritteri cuz it wouldnt stay off the glass

elegance coral
07/19/2010, 08:07 PM
Quite a few. Of the host species there's haddoni, doreensis, aurora, and malu. Maybe adhaesivum, but I'm not sure. In captivity some of these will take to rocks, but they must be able to conceal their foot. If they can't find an appropriate sized hole in the rocks, they will often wander until they die, or never really attach and die.

2Addicted
07/19/2010, 08:19 PM
There is a reason it was crawling up the glass usually they climb the glass in search of more light.

RLeclerc
07/19/2010, 08:24 PM
it wouldnt stay at the top it would just move everywhere... so now i just want something that will stay in the sand

elegance coral
07/19/2010, 08:24 PM
no my light is fine i get rid of the ritteri cuz it wouldnt stay off the glass

Mag's will always move to higher ground if they can detect it. The trick to keeping them is to put them on a rock island in the middle of the tank where they can't reach the glass or other higher rocks.

2Addicted
07/19/2010, 08:32 PM
I saw on one of your other posts that you only have 4 t5's over a 60g tank. You also built a island for it and it still moved right?

RLeclerc
07/19/2010, 09:11 PM
yea i guess my tank wasnt wide enough for its tenticles to not te reach the side that bad boy was huge... so im gonna probly try a carpet... i wanted something that had long tenticles but if thats not possible ill settle

RLeclerc
07/19/2010, 09:21 PM
Quite a few. Of the host species there's haddoni, doreensis, aurora, and malu. Maybe adhaesivum, but I'm not sure. In captivity some of these will take to rocks, but they must be able to conceal their foot. If they can't find an appropriate sized hole in the rocks, they will often wander until they die, or never really attach and die.

Did u mean that i should glue the foot?

elegance coral
07/19/2010, 09:28 PM
No! LOL. "adhaesivum" is a species of anemone that hosts clarkii clowns. Commonly called Pizza anemone.

RLeclerc
07/19/2010, 09:43 PM
lol ooops kk thanks man

Mavrk
07/19/2010, 10:22 PM
Just a question... Do you have individual reflectors on your T5s? If so, I would say your lighting is fine. If not, then I will leave it to the experts.

Malus should stay put, but I hear they are hard to keep.

RLeclerc
07/19/2010, 10:35 PM
i have 2 sets of reflectors.... malus is a carpet?

Amphiprion
07/19/2010, 11:49 PM
malus is a carpet?

Well, yes and no. It is in the same family (Stichodactylidae), but different genus. While the family is often described on the whole as the "carpet" anemones, generally only species in the genus Stichodactyla are called "carpet" anemones, at least by aquarists. H. malu isn't usually considered one, though.

RLeclerc
07/20/2010, 07:56 AM
lol so confusing!

NoBigDeal
07/21/2010, 06:26 PM
lol so confusing!

There are three carpet anemones- S. Haddoni, S. Gigantea, and S. Mertensii. All of them get pretty large in diameter and S. Gigantea is probably the most difficult anemone to sustain in an aquarium. S. Mertensii is usually very rare to find in any store. S. Haddoni on the other may be more forgiving than S. Gigantea but they are notorious fish eaters. For example, in 4 months of owning a blue Haddoni, it consumed 7 fish and 3 shrimp and I'm sure many snails and crabs. So they all have drawbacks. You said you wanted something with longer tentacles that's a sand dwelling species? I would get Heteractis Crispa. Beware though, often you'll find them bleached in stores.

jon1985
07/22/2010, 07:45 AM
why not an LTA? long tenticles-check, sand dwelling-check, healthy specimens are easily found.

RLeclerc
07/22/2010, 08:15 PM
hmmm time to research some more