PDA

View Full Version : Do I have enough light For a BTA?

BigGimp77
07/19/2010, 11:43 PM
Currently I have 2 icecap 10k bulbs and 1 460nm bulb in my 3 bulb t5 icecap retrofit kit. I have a 37g tank. Would this be enough light for a BTA?

gogators1088
07/20/2010, 10:56 AM
i have 2 T8's 10k i believe on my 46 bow and i have 2 BTA's and they are doing just fine

bues0022
07/20/2010, 11:41 AM
OP - assuming that you have individual reflectors that should be enough light for them. How far below the water surface are they? I had several kept under 4x39W T5. The ones higher up definitely did much better than the one loner that took up camp further down.

gogatos1088 - how long have you had the nems? tank? Do you feed them? While they may appear alright currently and they may be "alive", I doubt they are thriving. That is very little light.

BigGimp77
07/20/2010, 02:35 PM
Yes I have individual reflectors. They are about 5-6 inches above the water surface.

Another question I have is if my rock is okay enough for an Anemones foot and also if I should rearrage my rock work to it's a little be closer to the lights. Here is a picture I took during an algea outbreak I had a couple weeks ago.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/9792/62585718.jpg

FYI the angle of the picture makes it look like less rock then what it is! (its about 40 pds but it's a little on the dense side)

bues0022
07/20/2010, 03:07 PM
How old is the tank?
What are your water parameters (with numbers)?
Salinity?

It looks like you're going through a bit of a cycle there, and you want your tank to be as stable as possible before you put an anemone in there. If it were me, I'd want one more rock on the top to put the anemone in, and yes, I mean "in". If you want to make sure for your anemone to not move around, one thing that is many times overlooked is a suitable foot "hole". BTA's like to have their foot in the shade, head in the sun.

Also, from my experience, for the T5 bulbs you can put in an aquablue plus to give you the actinic look while still getting considerable more PAR from the bulb than an actinic can put out.

BigGimp77
07/20/2010, 05:13 PM
Tank is almost 4 months old. That picture is from a while back. It was the only picture I had on me of the tank. All that algea is gone now haha.

Parameters are good amm/nitrite/nitrate=0/0/10. Salt 1.026. The only probably I have currently is temp!. Having trouble during peak hours keeping my tank below 82. It normally hovers around 80. Before buying an anemone I would fix this problem though. I imagine cutting some holes in my canopy and adding some fans would fix my heat problem.

I was more curious to whether or not my tank would be an ideal living place for an anemone. I don't plan on buying one and time soon, but you never know!

Mavrk
07/20/2010, 10:16 PM
As far as I understand it, the icecap T5 retrofit with individual reflectors should be enough for just about anything. I agree that an Aquablue would be a nice addition. The actinic brings out things you don't normally see.

bues0022
07/21/2010, 09:56 AM
As far as lights go, you should be just fine. Get your temp in check and stabilize just a bit more and you should be alright.

EaZy DuZ iT
07/21/2010, 04:12 PM
Your perfectly fine, dont worry.