PDA

View Full Version : Questions on a customerized LED, purple LED?

lastduke
07/20/2010, 11:50 AM
A LED manufacturer is going to customized my LED fixture. I have a 20*15 opening on top of my solana 34G.
My plan is having a fixture 20*10 size with three rows totally 40 bulbs (3W each). The manufacturer also
offered to add 4-6 purple bulbs (3w each, more expensive than white or blue bulbs). They told me it will
enhance the coral's colorness a lot.

Anyone has used the purple ones? Should I add them in? Does 40*3W bulbs are too much for 34G?
They are not using the CREE bulbs, something other American LEDs...BTW,I am keeping sps and zoas?

Here is the picture without purple light, they are looking for the picture with purple on. How about this color, need some color shift?

http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/45951/2790511590102590296S600x600Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2790511590102590296OVawJA)

blasterman789
07/20/2010, 01:27 PM
First, Cree LEDs aren't made in the U.S. Next, all LEDs that aren't Cree aren't inferiour.

The LEDs they are referring to are likely 440nm LEDs, which are very 'purple' in color, although technically they are blue-violet. These are becoming increasingly popular for reef tanks because they provide a lot of color pop, a lot of PAR, and go a step better than typical royal blues which are around 455nm. I just got some 10watt 445nm LEDs to play with, and they are pretty awesome.

You really have to be carefull with pictures off reef tanks like this because you really don't know what they are using. I would also replace regular blues with 'purples', or a similiar ratio. Otherwise, there comes a point when too much actinic gets annoying, but we all have different tastes. I do like the idea of replacing some regular blues with purples to get some more depth.

Last, I'm a bit skeptical when they say '3watt' LEDs and would suspect they are actually using 1watt LEDs. I might be wrong, but I would strongly advise getting some specifics. 120 total LED watts for a fixture over a 34gal is pretty extreme and over-kill, which makes me suspect we're working with 1watt emitters.

lastduke
07/20/2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks, bro, I did request the specs and the pictures of the bulbs. I will post the array he designed for me to get more comments from you guys. The engineer told me, he is going to mix different spectrums for whites and blues.
From the price the manufacturer offered, I dont' think they put the best blubs in. I will ask them to measure the lighting and give me some idea how the bulbs are.

BTW, what is the rough price you can find the purple LED? 3W.

reef_doug
07/20/2010, 06:36 PM
Our club had a meeting at Ecoxotic. They use 1w LED on purpose... to avoid use of any fans. They do have reflectors available for their stunners and the panaroma has reflector built in.

The rep said in general, corals use LED light more effectively than MH, you don't need as much light. Many corals show excellent growth at 100 par of LED light. Many people who get into LED end up over powering their tanks and can bleach corals. Better to start with less and add on. This is why their system is upgradable.

Nwest
07/21/2010, 03:53 PM
THe stunner led strips they sell looks interesting. Would those be enough to use for your main lighting in a tank if used enough? I am really interested in the LED lighting but dont want to spend more than I have into the tank right now into lights. I have a 90 btw