PDA

View Full Version : Is This Too Much to Add at Once?

Conrad0032
07/20/2010, 05:19 PM
So I'm ordering online and want to milk the most out of it lol since shipping is 26 bucks >.>. I plan on getting -

500 copepods (buy one get one, so 1000) - $19.99
2 Scarlet hermits (already got one in tank) - $2.99 each
2 Banded Trochus snails - $2.49 each
Ocellaris Clown - $15.99
3 Cerith snails (BYGO, so 6) - $0.69 each
4 Blue Hermit crabs (BYGO, so 8) - $0.49 each
1 Nassarius snail (BYGO, so 2) (already have 2 huge ones) - $0.79
2 Nerite Snails (BYGO so 4) (already have 2 in tank) - $0.89

and I am deciding between one of these for my first coral-
1) http://www.reefs2go.com/product/C-SHROOM-GREEN/Green-Mushrooms.html
2) http://www.reefs2go.com/product/C-POLYPS-STAR-GREEN/Green-Star-Polyps.html
3) http://www.reefs2go.com/product/C-ZOO-CANDYAPP/Candy-Apple-Zoanthids.html

I have a 29gallon biocube. Would I be adding too much at once or would this be fine? Thanks for everyones help.

joemelo
07/20/2010, 05:28 PM
should be fine. its just your clean up crew. but don't add fish for a while..

mfinn
07/20/2010, 06:31 PM
Is the tank cycled?

kcochran0010
07/20/2010, 06:57 PM
If your tank is cycled you should be fine due to the fact its just crabs snails etc. I would hold off on fish for now.

Conrad0032
07/20/2010, 09:58 PM
Would the fish make that big of a difference? He's only like an inch long. So the corals alright? which would you guys recommend of the three? My tank finished a week ago or so.

kcochran0010
07/20/2010, 10:01 PM
I would still hold off just a little for the fish. Patience is the key in this hobby. I learned the hard way. But I love the zoas' I have none due to the fact I'm still learning about them but I will get into them very soon!

Conrad0032
07/20/2010, 10:10 PM
Yea i did learn the hard way... my first clown died unfortunately and found it cut in half. I do not know if my hermit killed it or if it was just scavanging it? Thoughts? Also the clowns 20 bucks at my LFS so not much savings. Suppose i can hold off. But would a coral b okay?

kcochran0010
07/20/2010, 10:13 PM
Yes a coral would be fine. And now sure on how your clown was cut in half but it sounds intense lol. Yeah clowns dont cost alot so I would just wait and get a pair .. If you get one you wont be able to add another later on down the road..

Conrad0032
07/20/2010, 10:18 PM
Yes a coral would be fine. And now sure on how your clown was cut in half but it sounds intense lol. Yeah clowns dont cost alot so I would just wait and get a pair .. If you get one you wont be able to add another later on down the road..

Any tips on corals? N00b here lol =P I'm do some good research before I order this coral. But I heard these are easy tot ake care of. I believe i'm going to get cool colored corals since ima have warm colored fish so I'm going to go with the green mushrooms.

When should I get a clown then? I heard as long as you buy same species and one thats smaller the clowns will be fine.

kcochran0010
07/20/2010, 10:22 PM
I purchased my clowns at the same time. Order your CUC and coral and if everything does fine for about a week or so and params stay in check I'd get you a clown pair!

kcochran0010
07/20/2010, 10:22 PM
And sorry no tips on corals as I have only had corals for about 3 weeks now lol.

Conrad0032
07/20/2010, 10:36 PM
And sorry no tips on corals as I have only had corals for about 3 weeks now lol.

Ahhh come on that's 3 weeks more than me :)

But thanks for all your input. I'm only 16 lol so im trying so hard to set this tank up nicely... Is it that great having two clowns in the same tank? I might just get one but I am unsure. Also I plan on buying this stuff in a week or so since I'm waitinf for a shipment of a control valve for acclimation, some chaetomorpha, and some other stuff. Can't wait. I got 5 clean up crew members in my tank atm bought from my LFS... way over priced. Also, Should I feed my scarlet hermit or nassarius snails any food since they are scavangers? Seems like they might starve since I don't put fish food in... I feel bad.

kcochran0010
07/20/2010, 10:42 PM
If you have a piece of rock rubble or a small rock i would rubber band a peice of dried sheet algae or id throw in some flake food and turn off the power heads so food falls to the bottom and crabs and snails can eat. I know how you feel I'm only 20 so I'm new to all this as well!

Conrad0032
07/20/2010, 10:48 PM
If you have a piece of rock rubble or a small rock i would rubber band a peice of dried sheet algae or id throw in some flake food and turn off the power heads so food falls to the bottom and crabs and snails can eat. I know how you feel I'm only 20 so I'm new to all this as well!

Well Thank you. You've been more than helpful. Guess I'll hold off on the clown. It's just that the 14 day guarentee seems great and my LFS has no guarentee.

I jave plenty of algae in my tank. It's just that I thought nassarius and scarlets eat fish food along with algae.

kcochran0010
07/20/2010, 10:50 PM
Well Goodluck with everything and just remember to be patient!