PDA

View Full Version : New Zoa ?'s

angel_eyez84
07/20/2010, 10:05 PM
i just bought some new zoas and was wondering how quickly they grow for everyone else. Trying to see what i have in store for me...

captain america
darth maul
nightmare
speckled people eater
real magician
ding dang people eaters
red people eater
lunar eclipse

thanks in advance!

SantaCruzReefer
07/20/2010, 10:20 PM
My red people eaters gain a polyp once a week and I get one polyp every 2 weeks on my lunar eclipse zoas under pc lights.

FrankenReef
07/20/2010, 11:18 PM
Captain americas grow very fast for me. Makes me wonder if they are just pretty invader palys. New polyp every couple weeks.

MUCHO REEF
07/25/2010, 08:40 AM
The only thing which will dictate and determine your rate of growth and/or coloration, is your specific tank conditions, i.e parameters, lighting etc. If reefer A puts on 5 polyps per month in their tank, there is no guarantee
that you will have the same growth rate. I see posting online of "fast growers", "slow growers" and this is a marketing tool as no one, not one vendor online or a LFS can assure you that you will get the same growth rate as they did or anyone else for that matter. No one can even say they will grow fast for you or even survive. WHY? As stated above, your specific tank conditions will dictate and determine everything that is positive or negative in your tank.

I would focus on providing a good environment which is most conducive for growth. I don't know what those polyps are that you mentioned, but smaller polyps in diameter can't tolerate as much high current as larger disc polyp as it will cause polyp retraction. If you have a mixture of both, then placement relative to current strength is recommended.

Good husbandry practices, a mature system, good lighting, having fish in your tank, as your polyps will greatly benefit from their poop, monitored and stable parameters will all help you achieve a thriving system which you will enjoy for years to come.

Over fragging, excessive fragging and premature fragging can all possibly lead to slow growth, no growth or even premature death. It happens all the time. Knwing the person you get them from, there husbandry practices, knowing their tanks lighting type and tank parameters alone can mean the difference between a good experience and a gad one with new purchases.

Just my 2 cents.

Mucho Reef

MuchoReef

tate1
07/26/2010, 11:18 PM
I have most of them and I think they are all good growers under ideal conditions. That is a great assortment of zoas. Only real slow grower I have is my true PPE. It is slooooow.

Akwarius
07/26/2010, 11:57 PM
The only one that I would be careful with is the darth maul. There are some strains floating around that do very poorly in captivity. Just start everything in moderate light and good, random flow.

Bonvivant
07/27/2010, 08:05 AM
So, is having a fish in the tank critical in your experiences? Can't feeding compensate for the lack of fish?

mallorieGgator
07/27/2010, 09:41 AM
I don't think everyone has fish in there tank. Yes, feeding is good, just not too much. I've heard that zoas will grow well in dirtier water, meaning, they probably enjoy a little more nutrients than do other corals like SPS.