PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Wrasse....finnicky eater..?

scarysdad
07/21/2010, 04:28 PM
I purchased a Lunar Wrasse 6 weeks ago, he is proving very difficult to get really 'eating' I have seen him eat a prawn, but he never feeds with the other fish, I put food in his cave after lights out and it is gone in the morining but I'm never really sure if he has got it or the other fish have. Is there a particular food this species goes for that I can try that will lure him out at feeding time. All params check out and I have never seen him being picked on when he is out, but he hides in his cave a lot and just watches the other fish. Currently trying 3 types of pellets, various flakes, and a large frozen variety(chopped cockles, mysis,marine feast,krill,brine)....as yet I haven't tried bloodworm which I am tempted to as it has gotten finnicky fish eating for me in the past but I have been advised it is not healthy for marine fish ? Thought about trying frozen Lancefish also but a bit worried that it will mess up my water...
Any thoughts...

barbianj
07/21/2010, 07:39 PM
IME, a Lunar wrasse is anything but finiky. If he's not getting right on the food, I'd say something is not right after six weeks. I'd try to QT him with Prazi Pro. Was he quaranteened or treated after purchase?

AquaKnight
07/21/2010, 07:51 PM
Ours likes scallops the best. How big is the tank? If it's undersized, that seems to cause the Lunare into hiding. Mine does this in QT.

iamwrasseman
07/21/2010, 08:46 PM
prazi pro treatment as mentioned above for sure and i would start him on live brine which is simply irresistible to all wrasses .after he starts eating that for a week or so switch him over to " pe mysis" as it is a great food and all my wrasses exclusively eat it and are extremely healthy. after he starts eating the pe you can start experimenting because he should eat almost anything including your cleanup crew .

anbosu
07/22/2010, 08:41 AM
It may just be eating your snails and crabs.

Normally these fish eat everything you put in the tank, so I would guess there is something wrong with yours. They will also hide if they are intimidated -- do you have any fish that could eat it?