PDA

View Full Version : lta melting

bigdog1428
07/22/2010, 09:40 AM
hello everyone,,,i had a lta that was roaming my tank, i stuck him into a rock crevis ,,and now this morning he looks like he is melting away, all my parameters are ok ,,,, just random melting,,,its tentacles are sucked in ,,and it looks like its foot (red part ) is falling apart also ,,,thanks for the help

loglew
07/22/2010, 09:46 AM
How old is your thank? How deep is your sand bed? What parameters are ok? What type of lighting do how have? How long as it been in your tank? Any Pics?

bigdog1428
07/22/2010, 09:58 AM
my tank is about 6 months old,,i have a 3 inch sand bed ,,,my paramters are

ph=8.2
alk=7
nitrate=0
ammonia=0
nitrite=0

i broke my t5,,,so at the moment i am using a pc lamp

lta has been in my tank for about 2 weeks ,,, and has not settles since,,,i also bought a bubble anemone and he is seated very healthy

Toddrtrex
07/22/2010, 11:01 AM
What is your salinity level?

LTAs (( M doreensis )) are sand dwelling anemones...

ocellaris123
07/22/2010, 02:52 PM
yeah, post the parameters, and equipment. If its falling apart get it out asap as its a goner.

bigdog1428
07/22/2010, 05:14 PM
my salinity is 1.024 and the tentacles are completely short ,,and shrunken,,and it looks like around the foot ,,its falling apart,,,i tried to look at the inside by its mouth ,,and it looks fine,,but the outside is fallin apart,,,,when i bought it from the lfs ,,he said it would mount to a rock ,,so i put the lta in a rock opening and then i think it started to go downhill ,,,,,,

does anyone have a reference to all different types of anemones ,,,i whanna get a different one maybe with some nice colors

bues0022
07/22/2010, 05:19 PM
Post a picture please. Sometimes we will be able to see something you cannot.
Tank size? lights? filtration? other inhabitants?

There are other color BTA's available. Most commonly red and green, but others pop up from time to time. Some believe (especially unless you are an expert and have the proper knowledge and back up plans) that a single species of anemones in a single tank is best. Potential for chemical warfare.

bigdog1428
07/22/2010, 05:32 PM
canu explain more ,,, what do u mean chemical warefare,,,,i have 3 anemoes in my 72 bow front ,,i have one blu tipped anenome one red,,,and a lta,,,lta is melting,,i will post pic in a cpl of mins

NoBigDeal
07/22/2010, 06:04 PM
canu explain more ,,, what do u mean chemical warefare,,,,i have 3 anemoes in my 72 bow front ,,i have one blu tipped anenome one red,,,and a lta,,,lta is melting,,i will post pic in a cpl of mins

In the wild, real estate is very precious. Over millions of years (I'm sure), these creatures have evolved and have developed battle tactics. One of them is chemical warfare as they call it. To put it simply, photosynthetic inverts can release chemicals in the water if they feel threatened by another photosynthetic species. This is their way of defending their space that they occupy. Now, put these creatures in a small glass box and imagine what can happen. Chemical warfare in a confined amount of space can be devastating for some creatures. Anemones aren't the only ones that are capable of this, corals are too. So to sum up everything, if you mix different species of anemones, you're a risk because they might just resort to chemical warfare.