PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Serpent Star Experience

anbosu
07/22/2010, 10:46 AM
As mentioned in the title, does anyone have experience with this animal?

I understand they are reef safe, mostly concerned about if they are opportunistic fish eaters like the brittle stars can be.

Thanks in advance!

Sugar Magnolia
07/22/2010, 11:07 AM
I've had one for about 6 months or so with no problems. The star you are thinking of is green brittle star, which is a fish eater. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm

anbosu
07/22/2010, 11:13 AM
Yep -- just curious if this had similar habits or not. I am thinking about getting one for my 90 reef. Think I could do 2 in there?

whorulz1147
07/22/2010, 03:10 PM
I had several in a 75g for about 3 years. They make for a great clean up crew member. It's fun watching them pop out of nowhere when you feed your tank...

finsurgeon
07/22/2010, 05:11 PM
I have several, and I can assure you that they will never eat a fish. They stay small and behave themselves. They are pretty shy, though, and won't be seen very frequently - just at feeding time mostly.

billdogg
07/22/2010, 05:16 PM
I add another to my tank pretty much every time I go to the LFS! (there are at least 10 in my 60g) They are harmless scavengers.

JackiB
07/22/2010, 07:54 PM
I agree, I have had mine for about a year and it is harmless.He is really fun to watch at feeding time and the legs come out from under the rocks. His body is a little larger than a quarter. He gets a chunk of shrimp when I feel the eel and he stays happy.

ludnix
07/22/2010, 09:19 PM
I have had a good sized one in my 120g for almost 2 years now. It really hasn't moved much in those 2 years. It moves it arms a bit when I feed to reach for food, but otherwise it is usually hidden.

Metal7fold22
07/23/2010, 12:10 AM
i had a green brittle and a serpent and they did great till the brittle started dying than the serpent star jumped into action and ate him quickly haha..they were the exact same size but those starfish can smell death a mile away so he was eating him as soon as it started dying haha

anbosu
07/23/2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Uncle Salty 05
07/23/2010, 12:49 PM
I've had one for about 6 months or so with no problems. The star you are thinking of is green brittle star, which is a fish eater. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm

Thanks for posting that link.
I have a huge green brittle star, it must be 14-16" across and its body is about 2" in diameter. I never knew they were fish eaters. I keep mine well fed on whole silversides and big chuncks of shrimp and squid. Maybe that's why I haven't lost any fish to mine that I know of. In the past I have had fish disappear but that was a long time ago before the GBS was as big as it is now.