PDA

View Full Version : Denitrator, bio pellets, zeovit, or ?

g8rorchid
07/22/2010, 11:21 AM
I have high nitrates (80ppm) and have come to the conclusion that water changes, along with my refugium isn't enough. Something is going on though, as my chaeto hasn't grown in 2 years!!! I have never had to prune it. It is a deep green though, so its alive.

I have been toying with the idea of buying either a used denitrator or going the pellets route with either a reactor or perhaps just placing the pellets in a bag and putting it in the sump. I have also been reading a little bit on the zeovit reactor. I would really only be using it for the purpose of lowering nitrates. I am a bit scared that I might nuke the tank if I go with anything that needs a reactor, so perhaps my best bet is the pellets in a bag in the sump.

Please help!!!

07/22/2010, 10:51 PM
maybe test kit is bad if chaeto not growing

Iwishihadgills
07/23/2010, 12:09 AM
sulfer denitrators are dangerous be careful if you go down that route

Dave Dunbar
07/23/2010, 08:18 AM
Try another test kit??? Many test kits are not very good any way at detecting nitrate. Have you ever checked for PO4?? I run Zeo on my 220
SPS system which has 5 large Tangs (which are PIGS) and my readings are always zero with a LaMotte nitrate kit. PO4 on a Hanna is <.04. Check your source water also many people with nitrate problems have very poor source water as many places add nitrate to the city water supply.
Hope this helps
Dave

EnderG60
07/23/2010, 08:36 AM
sulfer denitrators are dangerous be careful if you go down that route

pretty much every peice of equipment we use can be dangerous....

I have been using a sulphur denitrator for 4 years now and have built them for many others that use them with great success.

definatly double check your test kit, but if that is the case denitrators do work.

g8rorchid
07/24/2010, 04:20 PM
Ender - are denitrators easy to use? Would you be willing to build me one if I decided to go that route?

fmelindy
07/25/2010, 09:56 AM
I've used all of them, and all have their ups and downs but all of them are equally capable of getting your nitrates down. Quickest result is probably with a denitrator (which doesn't have to be sulfur style either, check out aquamedic's denitrator with the deni-ball system, that's the one I used and it was very effective and low maintenance) but least fiddling over time would probably be the biopellets (which I'm using now). Zeo is very effective but involves daily messing with dosing and pumping the reactor. Pellets also probably the cheapest solution in the long run, especially if you already own a reactor, as well as being the lowest fuss of them all. However, it's also the newest and least investigated method and some users are reporting variable results (working really well for me, though). If you do decide to go that route, it appears that you absolutely must have them tumbling vigorously in a reactor for best results.