PDA

View Full Version : White Slime

doakota1
07/22/2010, 03:02 PM
I have white slime in the DT and in the sump, this just came on. I have switched my salt from tropic marin to tropic marin bio active

saliaty 1.025
amonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0 ph 8.4
all tested with api

corals and fish all seem to be fine.
Anyone have any ideas?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/doakota1/new%20aquarium/DSCN0457.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/doakota1/new%20aquarium/DSCN0458.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/doakota1/new%20aquarium/DSCN0459.jpg

kcooley
07/22/2010, 03:09 PM
might just be some precipitate

Allmost
07/22/2010, 03:15 PM
it is not precipitate, its bacteria.

Bio Actif salt contains organics, which promotes growth of bacteria.

check this link out : http://************.com/2010/03/23/tropic-marin-bio-actif-salt-reviewed/

from it :
Organic compounds that you might be familiar with could include Vodka, vinegar, sugar or vitamin C. We don’t know what specific organic compound is being added to the Bio Actif salt, but we would assume its one of the above. The salt creates more hydrophobic compounds and bacteria then traditional salts which increases the load of your protein skimmer. You shouldn’t be using this salt without a decent protein skimmer. The reaction to the skimmer was so impressive in fact its like pouring Sodium lauryl sulfate into running tap water. Not to that extent but hopefully you’ve gotten the point. Run a good protein skimmer. To expand, good here refers to a efficient bubble making device with a needle-wheel, mesh-wheel, etc.

you see that in my Zeovit systems as well. nothing bad.

doakota1
07/22/2010, 03:17 PM
no thats what I cant figure out, I have not touched them, or done anything different except change salt

doakota1
07/22/2010, 03:20 PM
The coral in the DT tank does not seemed to be sliming
its the live rock in the sump with a couple of corals on it that seemed to be doing all the sliming

Allmost
07/22/2010, 03:21 PM
why did you switch salts ? and is your skimmer good ?

secondly, API test kits dont show anything with regards to no3, the lowest reding is 5PPM !! so reading zero actually means lower than 5PPM, salifert measures down to 0.1 PPM :)

doakota1
07/22/2010, 03:23 PM
it is not precipitate, its bacteria.

Bio Actif salt contains organics, which promotes growth of bacteria.

check this link out : http://************.com/2010/03/23/tropic-marin-bio-actif-salt-reviewed/

from it :
Organic compounds that you might be familiar with could include Vodka, vinegar, sugar or vitamin C. We don’t know what specific organic compound is being added to the Bio Actif salt, but we would assume its one of the above. The salt creates more hydrophobic compounds and bacteria then traditional salts which increases the load of your protein skimmer. You shouldn’t be using this salt without a decent protein skimmer. The reaction to the skimmer was so impressive in fact its like pouring Sodium lauryl sulfate into running tap water. Not to that extent but hopefully you’ve gotten the point. Run a good protein skimmer. To expand, good here refers to a efficient bubble making device with a needle-wheel, mesh-wheel, etc.

you see that in my Zeovit systems as well. nothing bad.
i have a swc 160 wich i thought was a good skimmer

doakota1
07/22/2010, 03:24 PM
why did you switch salts ? and is your skimmer good ?

secondly, API test kits dont show anything with regards to no3, the lowest reding is 5PPM !! so reading zero actually means lower than 5PPM, salifert measures down to 0.1 PPM :)
I switched salts, from what i have read using this salt, I would not have to dose mag and calc

Allmost
07/22/2010, 03:30 PM
I switched salts, from what i have read using this salt, I would not have to dose mag and calc

no you have read wrong my friend. this is a BIO actif salt. meaning for first time organics were introduced to it. Oraganic C for example. its a carbon source for bacteria to consume and grow and reproduce at higher rates, so it would lower your n and p ;) its like dosing with vodka, vineager or even zeostart2.

SWC is a good skimmer, although what is your total tank size ? OOPS ure signeture has the tank size :) my bad, ure skimmer is good to go. do you skimm WET ?

lastly, MG and Calcium should be added as needed. you need to test Calcium, MG and KH, and see where they are sitting. test againin a couple day and see if they have decreased and dos to bring the values up again.

I have tried this salt only once, and here is the values I got, but I dont like the Idea of organic in salts, I like to add myself to have more control

CA 430 PPM
Magnesium 1350 PPM
7-8 KH API reads lower than salifert

good luck, and as I said, its not a bad thing, they are just bacteria.

Onyx97
07/22/2010, 05:30 PM
Bio Actif is a good salt, I have had good results using it. I had the same kind of slime blooms in my tank and they would occur out of the blue every couple of months. I ran UV for a day each time I would see a string of slime in the tank and it would kill the event. I read a post later where a reefer was experiencing the same thing and the suggestion was given to clean out your Kalk ATO bucket if you were using one and do it regularly and that would take care of the problem in the future. I did it and do on a regular basis now and haven't had a slime event since. In regards to Bio Actif after a month of use doing 2 5 gallon water changes per week my tank took off, my SPS colored up brighter than before and PE is crazy now.