PDA

View Full Version : possible new tank

dscheidegger
07/22/2010, 04:12 PM
Ok I have a few questions before I start a new tank. I have a 30g tank with stand. I would like to get a small school/group of Banggai Cardinals. Would the tank be too small? I was thinking no more than 6 of them and maybe a couple other fish a wrase and a firefish or two. I dont have everything to start the tank yet i would need a refuge and sump and all that good stuff. I was going to sell the tank, then I saw the Cardinals and wanted to see if the tank would work. My LFS has them for sale and theyre about the size of a quarter..maybe. Also will the wrase and firefish be good tankmates? Thanks in advance!!

dscheidegger
07/24/2010, 10:06 AM
*bump* any ideas?

Dave VG
07/24/2010, 11:51 AM
Doesn’t sound like a good idea IMO. To much of a bio load for that size tank. The only fish that will school in a home fish tank are cromies and that does not always work either. The Banggai's would just kill each other off till there was a pair left. What kind of equipment skimmer, powerheads, lbs of live rock etc were you planning?

username in use
07/24/2010, 12:07 PM
The only fish that will school in a home fish tank are cromies

Thats not really true. There are threadfin cardinals that school really well, as well as some other small cardinals that always stick together.

The bangaii's will not stay as a large group though, as said they will kill each other off till there are 2 or 1 left.

Dave VG
07/24/2010, 12:55 PM
Thats not really true. There are threadfin cardinals that school really well, as well as some other small cardinals that always stick together.

I stand corrected. username in use thanks for straitening that out lol.

dscheidegger
07/25/2010, 01:06 PM
ok. so if i do two cardinals will the other two fish work? I was planning on 30-35lbs of rock. and as far as skimmer and things go... i havent got that far. I was looking to see if the tank would work if not i was going to sell it and save up for a 50g-75g.

kcochran0010
07/25/2010, 01:11 PM
You can check out a fish compatibility char online at liveaquaria.com

chimmike
07/25/2010, 02:18 PM
plan for a larger tank if you want that many fish, IMO

Ston3
07/25/2010, 06:12 PM
IMO, I would just save up for the 50-75. Too bad you missed petcos dollar per gallon sale, you coulda gotten a 55g for $55. I know that doesn't help you now. One suggestion I have is to check craiglist for deals on tanks. Try to bargain with them too.