PDA

View Full Version : Need quick answer please - store water

nrbelk
07/22/2010, 07:09 PM
I don't know why they did it but my lfs store sold me a trigger and it was stuck in a rock. So they stuck the rock in a bucket with half fresh r/o water and half tank salt water.

They said to start adding my water to the bucket as soon as I get home. But adding enough of my water to acclimate it to my salt level will take a lot of my water.

I know you shouldn't use lfs salt water that came with the fish but in this case will it be a bigger risk not to and risk a large salt decrease in my tank?

I already recycled some of my water that was combined with the lfs water back into my tank so I could keep the salt level some what stable, is this ok? Or did I just take a huge risk I didn't need to?

nrbelk
07/22/2010, 07:12 PM
More info:

The lfs is a guy who just orders fish for people. He doesn't have a lot of fish coming in and coming out, just special orders. For this I trust his water a little more I think...

Reefman29
07/22/2010, 07:20 PM
How big is your tank? what kind of trigger? Why was he in a rock?

nrbelk
07/22/2010, 07:24 PM
my tank is a 120g. Its a blue jaw trigger that he got in for me two weeks ago. Its been a chicken, it will come out of the rock to eat when it thinks no one is watching. Since its using its trigger capabilities to wedge itself in the rock, he just loaned me the rock.

Reefman29
07/22/2010, 07:29 PM
Try feeding it. Whats the difference is salt?

greech
07/22/2010, 07:37 PM
I have no idea why anyone would subject a fish to a 50% freshwater shock simply b/c it's hiding in a rock but since it has already been subjected to that stress my opinion would be to start a slow drip into the bucket and slowly bring salinity up to your QT. While the drip is going start mixing up 5 or so gallons of water to fill your DT up with. Wouldn't think you would need more than that to adjust the SG in the bucket and since you are doing it slow you should have a few hours for the new water to mix. Don't forget a heater and low flow in the bucket. I would also keep the lights near the bucket dim/off.

nrbelk
07/22/2010, 07:38 PM
right now I'm not worried about the trigger (yet). I am wondering if recycling the guys tank water into my own tank is worth the risk to avoid having a large decrease of salt level in mine. If I just through out all the water I use for acclimation, I will have to top of with lots of R/O water, causing a fast decrease in my salt concentration.

nrbelk
07/22/2010, 07:41 PM
thanks for the info greech. Sadly I still have not bought a QT.... I'm working on it...

So as of now, I'm pulling the water straight from my tank. I've already recycled the guys water back into mine to avoid a salt swing. I didn't think of making fresh salt water......... :(.

Oh well, I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Reefman29
07/22/2010, 07:44 PM
Mix up saltwater for your main. You will kill that fish in 50% freshwater. Its not a brackish fish. Do what greech said and drip it. It can't take that much water, especially from a 120.

greech
07/22/2010, 07:49 PM
Do you have other livestock in your tank? How much of the 50/50 water did you put in? Doubt it was enough to make a huge swing in a 120 but you might want to check your SG in your DT to be sure you don't need to adjust. Don't raise the SG in the bucket too fast. Good luck.

nrbelk
07/22/2010, 07:51 PM
It is taking quite a bit of water. It was a 5 gallon bucket (it was a pretty large rock...) that was filled with half r/o water and half salt water.

I've decided to risk it. I take out water from the bucket, put it back into my tank, and then take water from my tank and put it back into the bucket. I've been able to slowly raise the sg this way. I hope it works, its a really nice specimen, nice blue jaw and everything.

(and I got a free brittle star that was hiding in the rock :) )

Reefman29
07/22/2010, 07:53 PM
Good luck

nrbelk
07/22/2010, 07:55 PM
Ya, I have livestock in there. I've been watching the sg in both the bucket and the display tank. I think I would have caused a much larger swing if I kept topping my dt with R/O water.

That was my initial dilemma, top off dt with fresh r/o water and risk a sg swing. Or recycle with the guys water and risk using lfs water but it would keep my sg more stable.

nrbelk
07/22/2010, 08:42 PM
well, rock is in the tank, and trigger has left the rock. I just can't find him... lol. He is a really good specimen though, looks really nice, with good coloration. If he lives, he will definately be on the top of my favorites.

Qtip760
07/23/2010, 12:52 AM
You got a 120g tank, and the fish is in a 5g bucket. So there is probably at least 2 gallons in there already and so you are worried about topping off ~3g in your display affecting your salt gradient? I'd think you are fine.