PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a mistake?

scholls22
07/22/2010, 07:46 PM
First tank so Im obviously learning here...Set up a 24 g nanocube a week ago. I added 9 hermit crabs and 9 snails last wednesday. I went to my LFS and explained an algae problem to one of the workers that I was having with some of the live rock. He suggested that I get a blenny and that would help with te algae. I was told on another forum that I need to take the blenny out and let the cycle finish....Is this true? What will happen if I dont?

jflick345
07/22/2010, 07:51 PM
More than likely the algae is just part of your cycle and will dissipate over time. Worst case is that your tank will continue to cycle and the ammonia and nitrites will spike and kill off the blenny, crabs, and snails.

Just curious, did the LFS guy ask you how long your tank has been setup?

James404
07/22/2010, 07:52 PM
You should not have any live critters in your tank until it finishes the cycle. It is considered cruel to cycle a tank with fish or inverts in it. You should just have the live rock in there with sand and conitinue to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. First your Amm will spike, then nitrite and finally nitrate, when all are 0 you can start to SLOWLY add livestock. You can start with your clean up crew first, like snails and hermits. Then corals and fish.

scholls22
07/22/2010, 07:53 PM
More than likely the algae is just part of your cycle and will dissipate over time. Worst case is that your tank will continue to cycle and the ammonia and nitrites will spike and kill off the blenny, crabs, and snails.

Just curious, did the LFS guy ask you how long your tank has been setup?

I told him that I set up the tank a week ago

jflick345
07/22/2010, 08:07 PM
Either the employee isn't very knowledgeable about cycling or just didn't care. He sold one fish and if it lives great, if not then he'll get to sell another. Ammonia is toxic to fish in seawater and having fish in the tank before it reaches 0 will only stress and probably kill them.

I would call the LFS tomorrow and tell them that you are new to the hobby and didn't realize the cycle can be harmful to the fish but the employee sold you the fish even though your tank has only been setup a week. With any luck they'll let you return it. I'd also see if you can get a water test to see where you stand in your cycle. If you weren't starting to spike ammonia before you probably will now having had a fish in there.

Palting
07/22/2010, 08:49 PM
Algae. Do you mean GREEN Algae? If you have green algae, they are eating Nitrates. Means you are well on your way in the cycle, since nitrates are the last leg in the cycle. Time to a full cycle can be very variable, though one week is really unbelievably short

Now is a good time to get a marine test kit. You'll need it in this hobby anyway. Check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH.

Keep your eye on the ammonia. If you can keep ahead of the spike, or if the spike has passed, your current livestock may just make it.

The Punisher
07/23/2010, 04:45 AM
Have you checked your parameters at all? It's very doubtful that your tank is cycled but it's always a good idea to know what your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate numbers are.

Chris27
07/23/2010, 07:16 AM
Did you set the tank up with cured live rock?