PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Question: Is a True Wye better than a Tee?

DanMgy
07/22/2010, 10:23 PM
I am setting up the plumbing for a new tank and have a question about head loss with the plumbing.

Is a true wye better to use than a tee? :hmm3:

I am going to have the main DT line running from the tank to the sump and going to split the line to go to the skimmer and the second to the fuge section. I plan on putting gate valves after the line split. So my questions is would I have better flow rate with a true Wye vs. a Tee?

I would think that the Wye would also help reduce the chance of a siphone at the same time increasing flow. I also was thinking about using a Wye with the return line when I split it running back in to the DT.

Is there any reason I would not want to do us a Wye or would I ultimately end up with the same results using a Tee??

Thanks for any feedback, insight or thoughts on this :wavehand:

TOM BLEVINS
07/22/2010, 10:29 PM
Yes, less restriction.

DanMgy
07/22/2010, 10:37 PM
I guess as a second part to the question, would using a True Wye help reduce if not eliminate a chance of a siphone after the main drain line splits running into the sump?

Since I will be using gate valves after the split to control the flow I have read some people having issues with getting a siphon becuase of the flow control. So I was hoping this would help or reduce eliminate that.

DanMgy
07/23/2010, 10:35 AM
I guess this would also be good to use on the return line that is/was going to get a Tee to split it in the overflow.

jimmyj7090
07/23/2010, 10:41 AM
There would be no difference in backflow siphion between a T and a Y.

The Y will give you less friction loss going through the fitting. That's the only difference.

DanMgy
07/23/2010, 11:27 AM
There would be no difference in backflow siphion between a T and a Y.

I understand it wouldn't impact the return line, but there would be no impact on the DT drain line running to the sump either?

troylee
07/23/2010, 11:51 AM
nope..... just less friction either way you look at since water travels faster in less resistance....