PDA

View Full Version : aiptisa on a frag

Jayzee
07/23/2010, 06:47 AM
Hi

I brought a war coral frag from a LFS after 3 days it show up underneath the frag.

How should I get rid of it, the stem is kind of beneath the coral. How should I deal with this ?

thank you

The Punisher
07/23/2010, 06:52 AM
Is it in a quarantine tank or your display tank?
If it's in your display tank, I'd get it out of there as soon as you can. Once they start spreading they're hard to get rid of. You can try joes juice, or aiptasia-x or nudi's. Good Luck.

JSnipe
07/23/2010, 06:52 AM
I ussually hit them with a thick mix of calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser) or Joe's Juice and make sure you have some peppermint shrimp to help keep them out

sedor
07/23/2010, 06:57 AM
Since its on a frag plug that you can easily pull out of the system, just take it out and scrape as much as you can off and then seal over where the aiptasia was with superglue or reef puddy or something. Get that thing out of there though, they are the devil.

Flame_Angel
07/23/2010, 06:58 AM
Put it in your quarantine tank (you do have one of those for your corals...don't you? You should!) along with a peppermint shrimp. Give the peppermint shrimp some time to clean it off and whatever other little ones you may not have noticed, then move it to your display tank. I usually keep at least one peppermint shrimp in my quarantine tank just for that purpose.

ninjamini
07/23/2010, 07:35 AM
They grow quick. The move quick. They can walk around the tank and split into many more quick. Here is how to kill it.

First put it in a QT tank.

I use Kalkwasser powder mixed with water. I used the plastic measurer (it is used to measure .5ml water) that came with one of the test kits. Put it right up to its mouth and slowly squirt out the kalk. It closes up around the tip and bingo! I've got ya. Keep going till its empty.

Now be warned doing this in the tank can get calk everywhere. IT tends to float around. Here is some tips:

1. Shut off the flow. LAst thing ypu need is water flow pushing the kalk over to your candycane coral.

2. Be ready with airline tubing. I create a syphin with the tubing to suckup the peices of kalk that float away. This can take awhile. It does make a mess.

3. Be ready with some fresh salt water to replace the water you syphon off.

4. rinse-repeat. If you got them you will get them again. Thats why they are the pest that they are. Have fun - You didn't think that keeping a salt water tank was going to be easy!

Evi1Monkey
07/23/2010, 07:41 AM
This is a reef board!~dc

Chris27
07/23/2010, 07:44 AM
Just shoot it with some Aiptasia X - the nem thinks it's food so it extends - then you blast it. The coral could be [profanity]for a little while, but it will be ok. I just took one out right in the middle of a big field of zoo's - they were mad for a few min, but were fine a little later.

smb1087
07/23/2010, 11:02 AM
Peppermint shrimp!!!!!