PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock ??

RcToners
07/23/2010, 06:30 PM
Okay so this may sound a bit silly. What is live rock? I know what it does but I am a bit confused as to what gets classified as live rock? Is it just basically any porus rock that came from the ocean or is seeded? Is it dead coral formations?

GhostCon1
07/23/2010, 06:36 PM
Live rock has denitrifying bacteria in it (the most important thing) along with many other various forms of life; copepods, worms, inverts, algae, etc. all come with live rock.

EDIT: Forgot to answer all your questions. Porous rock is the best type to get as it allows water to actually flow easily into the rock and come into contact with more of the beneficial bacteria. Large, solid rocks aren't very good for the purpose of seeding (imo) because there's only the surface area of the rock for the bacteria to live on. Porous is best for live rock :)

RcToners
07/23/2010, 06:44 PM
I understand the bacteria and forms of life but what type of rock? I know there are various types of live rock such as tunga and so on but what exactly is it? Is it just dead coral or a certian type of porus rock?

GhostCon1
07/23/2010, 07:16 PM
Most of it is usually is some type of coral skeleton. Tonga is usually a branching type of coral skeleton.

Fiji, Bali, Vanuatu, etc. are regions where it originates.

RcToners
07/23/2010, 07:23 PM
Most of it is usually is some type of coral skeleton. Tonga is usually a branching type of coral skeleton.

Fiji, Bali, Vanuatu, etc. are regions where it originates.

Thank you so much. I assumed it was coral for the most part thank you for the clarification :)