PDA

View Full Version : Pex Tubing anyone?

notpennysboat
07/24/2010, 12:43 AM
Has anyone uses pex tubing instead of PVC for their sump?

H20ENG
07/24/2010, 11:26 AM
Only for a nano. Its too expensive really for anything bigger. Plus, at higher flow rates, you need much larger tubing, and with PEX it gets prohibitively expensive very fast. Would love to see it though!

notpennysboat
07/24/2010, 11:56 AM
Only for a nano. Its too expensive really for anything bigger. Plus, at higher flow rates, you need much larger tubing, and with PEX it gets prohibitively expensive very fast. Would love to see it though!

When you say larger tubing, are you saying larger then PVC? I was planing on using 1" tubing and my bulkhead will be a 3/4. Would I need to go larger then 1".
Also besides expense, is there going to be no difference between the two?
Buth that's what I was planning on using for my nano and sump.
It's a 35g DT w/ a 10g sump

H20ENG
07/24/2010, 12:33 PM
The tubing is fine to use as long as you use the poly fittings as well- no metal. The fittings are going to be roughly 10-20x the cost of pvc. While it would work and definitely look cool, I just couldnt spend the $ personally.

primmer
07/24/2010, 03:19 PM
Most of the PEX fittings I've used are brass. Brass is an alloy of zinc and copper, and too much copper is really bad for corals.
I'd skip it and use good old PVC

DeathMagnetic
07/24/2010, 08:15 PM
i have been using pex for my returns for a couple years now.. the fittings are expensive but you have a really clean installation.. ive heated mine to make nice bends..

Flame_Angel
07/24/2010, 08:35 PM
Having worked in a hardware store that sold Pex fittings and tubing, I can attest to the high prices. The tool used for crimping, if you bought it yourself, sells for well over $100 in a standard retail store.

TAB
07/25/2010, 02:22 AM
having a garage full of plumbing fixtures, the very last thing i would reach for is pex. there is a very long list of reasons why that is, but lets just say pvc is a much better choice.

something else to think about not all pex is uv stable, just a fyi.

notpennysboat
07/25/2010, 09:43 AM
i have been using pex for my returns for a couple years now.. the fittings are expensive but you have a really clean installation.. ive heated mine to make nice bends..

Have you had problem with too much copper in your system like the above post mentioned. I actually didn't think of that.
So would it be a prob?
So if I decide to do pex, do I still need to go about 1/4" bigger than the bulk head of my overflow box?

DeathMagnetic
08/04/2010, 03:14 PM
im just using the poly fittings there is no copper or brass involved they are push on fittings kind of like the john guest fittings on your rodi units..

Joe