PDA

View Full Version : How to keep fish from jumping out ?

twintrades
07/24/2010, 01:30 PM
OK i have a 75 gallon and overnight had a fish carpet sufing. How can i cover the tank and not restrict light/heat ?

I have a lot of corals and dont want the sps to crap out due to low light. So what should i use to cover the tank? I thougt about eggcrate but one way decresses light the other dosnt. And i cannot get a straight answer out of any one. so what should i do ? ( cant keep getting new fish either .:rolleyes: )

zero26
07/24/2010, 01:45 PM
Some sort of screen or maybe some glass covers? Tough, the only problem I ever had was the fish would jump into my overflow.

James404
07/24/2010, 02:06 PM
check out this article, this should work well for you:

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34002

m.gumbert
07/24/2010, 02:41 PM
You could go to Lowes or Home Depot and get eggcrate. It can be found in the electrical department. Then just cut it to fit the top of your tank. They come in sheets that are 2' x 4'. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as the mesh but it is simple and it works well. They also come in white or black.

Bugzme
07/24/2010, 02:55 PM
They sale a 1/4" clear netting and yhen you make the frame with plastic window screen material that you can buy at HD or Lowes. Netting is a specialty item and I will check where you can buy it

billdogg
07/24/2010, 02:55 PM
I used eggcrate for 20+ years and just switched last weekend. Shoulda made aluminum window screen frames years ago.

I did mine a little different than most however - I used a fairly heavy plastic mesh that would not stay in the screen frames using the spline, so I made two identical frames, then sandwiched the mesh between them. To secure the mesh, I used aluminum pop rivets and a bead of silicone. A very solid build. An added bonus to this method is that because it is double thickness, it sticks up a little making it very easy to pick off the tank.

James404
07/24/2010, 04:42 PM
You could go to Lowes or Home Depot and get eggcrate. It can be found in the electrical department. Then just cut it to fit the top of your tank. They come in sheets that are 2' x 4'. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as the mesh but it is simple and it works well. They also come in white or black.

Yes eggcrate (lighting diffuser) could be used but do you really want to block out that much light? I mean thats what light diffuser's main purpose are to begin with...not something I would want to do, especially on a SPS tank.

sunil6784
07/24/2010, 04:56 PM
What kind of fish?

I dislike covers... how about stocking with fish that are less apt to jump?

m.gumbert
07/24/2010, 04:58 PM
Yes eggcrate (lighting diffuser) could be used but do you really want to block out that much light? I mean thats what light diffuser's main purpose are to begin with...not something I would want to do, especially on a SPS tank.

No not the "diffusers" that would normaly be found on a flourscent lighting, but the grating that is used in frag tanks. (These are also used in the same lighting fixtures.) These allow plenty of light and air movement.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/LargeImage.aspx?SKU=58019&Image=5/58019_061031.jpg

twintrades
07/24/2010, 06:49 PM
Our eggcrate has verry little if any bevel to it. So as to start it again which side would go up point up^ or down V ??

hayes_101
07/24/2010, 07:09 PM
use lexan i think that is how you spell it. it is a type of Plexiglas it does not warp under the heat of the lights it is non toxic and does not color I have it on my 55 gal and the lights are about 2" above that and no problems so far. now I am running only 2 T5 bulbs if you have more just set it higher.

reice05
07/24/2010, 09:20 PM
They sale a 1/4" clear netting and yhen you make the frame with plastic window screen material that you can buy at HD or Lowes. Netting is a specialty item and I will check where you can buy it

I've only seen metal window screen frames, I've been looking for some plastic ones.

addicted4life
07/25/2010, 06:19 AM
I use glass tops, bought from lowes, and they cut it for free. They sell a plastic "F" channel that makes it easy for 2 pieces of glass to slide over each other. Check the DIY section here. I never lift any glass, just slide them forward or backwards. I have a T5 fixture, these glass tops, and grow sps just fine.
Wait till you see the stuff that accumulates on the glass that otherwise would end up in the tank. Takes some cleaning about once a month but I gotta have lids to keep my wrasses in the tank and off the floor.
I have considered the 1/4" screen, but the glass is just too easy.

Lucidbeam
07/25/2010, 07:54 AM
I use eggcrate, but I'm going to change to clear mesh screen. Very nice.

hayes_101
07/25/2010, 08:38 AM
you must loose a lot of water due to evaporation. I am new to this so is there a reason you prefer eggcrate or mesh over glass or lexan?

James404
07/25/2010, 08:47 AM
I use glass tops, bought from lowes, and they cut it for free. They sell a plastic "F" channel that makes it easy for 2 pieces of glass to slide over each other. Check the DIY section here. I never lift any glass, just slide them forward or backwards. I have a T5 fixture, these glass tops, and grow sps just fine.
Wait till you see the stuff that accumulates on the glass that otherwise would end up in the tank. Takes some cleaning about once a month but I gotta have lids to keep my wrasses in the tank and off the floor.
I have considered the 1/4" screen, but the glass is just too easy.

I think the main reason people don't want to use glass or lexan is it cuts down on gas exchange.

hayes_101
07/25/2010, 08:55 AM
o... never thought of that! I have several holes cut in mine for feeding and for the heater and filtration.

johnike
07/25/2010, 10:08 AM
Plastic screen frame kits from Menards or Home Depot with 1/4" bird netting works terrific!

twintrades
07/29/2010, 07:37 AM
Ill have to check HD for the plastic screen thing. I just dont like aluminum and my tank mixing.:eek1:

LowersMyBP
07/29/2010, 07:46 AM
You could build an open top canopy around the rim of the tank. The back side could have 3 or 4 big holes cut out with computer fans wired into them. I have a 6 bulb T5 light fixture on stands on top of my 75 and I was able to get a canopy around them. I built it so the front flips up for getting my fingers in the tank. Fans in the back keep air flow coming in. Makes the jump the fish has to make much higher...and I suppose they could hit my fans and get dinged up, but they haven't yet.....or at least I haven't noticed. This way, you have no glass tops and no light restriction in the tank...even though you have the fans, it may trap the heat more, so watch your temps....