PDA

View Full Version : clown pairing

Jackchaos
07/24/2010, 01:50 PM
kinda of a newb question i guess but can you have more then one pair of clowns in a over 30g tank?

305phins
07/25/2010, 09:58 PM
good ? how about in a 40 breeder

1fishkeeper
07/25/2010, 11:08 PM
No is the answer to your question. If you do put in more than one pair you will only end up with one pair in the end. Even in larger tanks this still happens.

SwampyBill
08/20/2010, 01:27 AM
I agree with 1fishkeeper-one pair per tank (no matter how large). Although some tempt fate & try housing more per tank, anything more than one pair of clowns, IMO, is sadistic & cruel to the fish. We're supposed to do all in our power to help them thrive & not live in fear of their life.

200mfromocean
08/20/2010, 10:33 AM
I am having the same problem in my 120
I bought a green bubble nem and a pair of tank raised true percs. They would not host in the nem. My objectibve is to get a pair of hosting clowns.
I added a male GBM and unfortuneately he is not tolerated by the existing pair. His fins are somewhate matted from the nipping and I have been unable to catch him. Fortunately the GBM is now hosting the nem.
I want to intoduce a female GBM after removing the tank raised pair. What are the chances the female GBM will take to the male GBM? Or would it be best to simply add another small/male GBM?

andymh
08/20/2010, 02:57 PM
Stick with one pair per tank. If you add more, you're likely to end up with just one when they mature.

200mfromocean, good luck pairing maroons, they're one of the hardest. It would actually be better to add a small juvenile because there is no way of knowing for sure the one you have really is a male and they can sort it out for themselves with a juvenile.