PDA

View Full Version : New Zoas- Placement and Light levels?

Drix
07/24/2010, 02:08 PM
Well, I was out and about today and bumped into some sweet looking frags today and was curious about their specific lighting requirements before I put them in my tank as to be as least likely as possible to have a color shift. (Direct light v slightly shaded; top, middle, bottom, etc.)

Frag #1:
Looks to me to be darth mauls. They're black base with bright orange splash.

Frag #2:
Either Blue hornets or AOI's, not sure I'd know the difference, but they compliment my japanese clove's nicely.

Drix
07/26/2010, 05:47 PM
Well I have pictures of some concerns about at least one of my new frags. Frag #1 is on questionable base rock (#1) and I'm wondering if granite could have an adverse effect on the zoas and whether I should move them off it or not. I also have question about polyp (#2) and whether it's melting or not and whether I need to slice and dice. Lastly, (#3) this frag seems to be shedding some skin so to speak. I'm not sure how else to describe it other than a single layer peeling off here and there and some white pokadots that look like sand or detritus here and there. I'm pretty sure it's not pox because it doesn't appear to be part of the zoa, but I wasn't sure so I'd put it to debate.

Anyhow, Your images:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/Lazerous_Random/AfricanBlues.jpg

1. Granite Ok?
2. Polyp Melt?
3. Signs of pox or some other disease?

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/Lazerous_Random/Orangeresize.jpg
I don't see any problems but if a more trained eye does please let me know.

**Note: Due to the poor quality of my borrowed digital camera these images have been edited for color and contrast, images above are as close of an approximation as my eye can get with my photoshop knowledge**

tate1
07/26/2010, 10:43 PM
I have three 400w mh and T-5's. We keep our Darth Mauls on the bottom and they look great. To me, it looks like your getting some melt going. I would cut the infected ones off.

Bonvivant
07/27/2010, 08:06 AM
I don't see the pics.

MUCHO REEF
07/27/2010, 09:50 AM
Well, I was out and about today and bumped into some sweet looking frags today and was curious about their specific lighting requirements before I put them in my tank as to be as least likely as possible to have a color shift. (Direct light v slightly shaded; top, middle, bottom, etc.)

Frag #1:
Looks to me to be darth mauls. They're black base with bright orange splash.

Frag #2:
Either Blue hornets or AOI's, not sure I'd know the difference, but they compliment my japanese clove's nicely.

Could you provide us some background by answering the questions in the link below?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852463

Where were they in the system you purchased them from?

Where were they placed?

For how long?

At what height?

What type of lighting and wattage?

Knowing this if possible upon purchasing new polyps can make a world of difference and remove any potential guessing on answering your questions.

All new arrivals should be placed low, in direct current and not touching anything else in your tank. QTing is better, but isolation away from other rocks and corals initially is best. After a few days to a week, you decide, if there are no signs of stress, sloughing, sickness of any kind, find an optimal spot, secure and place it. Persistent moving will only delay or stunt growth.

Good luck.

Mucho Reef

MUCHO REEF
07/27/2010, 10:06 AM
Well I have pictures of some concerns about at least one of my new frags. Frag #1 is on questionable base rock (#1) and I'm wondering if granite could have an adverse effect on the zoas and whether I should move them off it or not. I also have question about polyp (#2) and whether it's melting or not and whether I need to slice and dice. Lastly, (#3) this frag seems to be shedding some skin so to speak. I'm not sure how else to describe it other than a single layer peeling off here and there and some white pokadots that look like sand or detritus here and there. I'm pretty sure it's not pox because it doesn't appear to be part of the zoa, but I wasn't sure so I'd put it to debate.

Anyhow, Your images:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/Lazerous_Random/AfricanBlues.jpg

1. Granite Ok?
2. Polyp Melt?
3. Signs of pox or some other disease?

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/Lazerous_Random/Orangeresize.jpg
I don't see any problems but if a more trained eye does please let me know.

**Note: Due to the poor quality of my borrowed digital camera these images have been edited for color and contrast, images above are as close of an approximation as my eye can get with my photoshop knowledge**

It has always been advised if it didn't come from the ocean, then don't put it in your tank. Well, PVC doesn't come from the ocean, yet many reefers use it as a base for supporting aquascaping. But I do get the gist of what others say regarding this. Anything which might leach any substance, compound, chemical or otherwise should be avoided. I would Google granite and see if it is safe in salt water tanks or if it can leach out. I do know granite is an Igneous rock, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igneous_rock . Just not sure if it will leach. You really should Google it for sure to see if it's safe as I have no idea.

I can tell you with the utmost certainty that polyps # 2 and # 3 are dead or near death already and don't waste any time treating the rock to try and save them. If they have been retracted for any prolonged period of time, they have already bleached and are now encrusted. Use a sharp razor blade from and Exacto knife and cut straight down to the rock and remove them and/or any other polyps which are already affected. I have purchased many rocks over the year with one or two polyps in this condition and trust me, they won't bounce back. If you have some Lugol's Iodine, dip a Q tip in tank water then dip it in the iodine. Then lightly swab the tissue at the point of dissection from the frag. The iodine will serve as an antiseptic. Then dip quickly in a bowl of tank water then back into your tank. I have done this dozens upon dozens of time with no ill affect. Good luck.

Mucho Reef

Drix
07/27/2010, 11:01 AM
Could you provide us some background by answering the questions in the link below?

1. Temp of tank: 79 degrees
2. All parameters:
....Alk: Out of tests atm
....PH: 8.2
....Mag: Out of tests
....Calcium: 300ppm
3. Salinity 1.025
4. It's a frag, new addition, picked up at lfs.
5. Have you made any changes just prior to or during the issue: No
6a. List the current/flow: Medium Flow
6b. Lighting: 18" below brand new LED pendant.
7. Additives: Calcium added 2 days prior to arrival, it is the only additive.
8.Where were they in the system you purchased them from?
16" Blelow CF/MH bulbs on frag rack, they were there for an unknown duration.

Mucho Reef

lion101
07/28/2010, 08:11 PM
I'm new to this I have 2 175 watt halides I think I might have burnt my button polyps its been about two weeks they won't open back up