PDA

View Full Version : What type of flow ?

RcToners
07/24/2010, 04:29 PM
I am going to be setting up a 200 softie tank with maybe a few lps. What type of turnover rate should I look for and what type of flow?

mfinn
07/25/2010, 11:15 AM
For most tanks anywhere from 3x to 5x through the sump and as far as inside the tank, I like alot of flow for soft corals. I have approx. 6000 gallons per hour of flow in the tank or 25x the tank volume.

RcToners
07/25/2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I was a bit confused I think. I thought that all the flow needed to come through the sump and back into the tank through return pumps? How are you creating your flow? through power heads or a closed loop of some sort? I am looking to keep from having to many distracting items in the tank. Thanks again for the help

mfinn
07/25/2010, 03:48 PM
You really don't want to try and use your return pumps as alot of your planned flow for the tank. IMO the return pump/overflow should only be used to get water back and forth from sump/skimmer/refugium/equipment areas. And when it is on the slower side, that equipment in the sump has a longer time to do it's job.
I don't mean you need to slow it down to a trickle, but in the 3x to 5x range.
I use a combo of closed loop and powerheads.
I have 2 seio 1500's and a Koralia 6 powerheads.
Then I use a Poseidon P4 on a over the top closed loop.
I'm looking at replacing the powerheads with a couple Vortech MP 40's.

gkb
07/30/2010, 04:05 AM
Some LPS's may not like a lot of current, but I would bet mfinn's softies love their tank.