PDA

View Full Version : Setup Confusion

bFarmer
07/25/2010, 02:03 PM
Hello all, need some input

I'm pretty new at this and trying to figure some things out. I adopted an abandoned 10 gallon from my niece who, after getting rock, sand, test kits and killing fish, quickly lost interest and was gonna just trash it. i learned a lot the basic lessons the hard way and recently (about 2 months ago) upgraded to a 30 gal. Now have that, plenty of LR, good flow and good lighting. Just ordered an eshopps psk-100 skimmer and was originally planning on using the 10g as a sump. ...but... caught a petco sale and got a 20h for $20. Then went the planning for that. Im building a stand and since the 20g is the same width as the 30g, was going to have an open window for the sump/refugium. i got glass baffles cut and was having trouble figuring out the skimmer/return/refugium diminsions since i wanted to maximize the refugium area since it will be displayed. Decided to go with skimmer>bubble trap>refugium with the return pump (not yet purchased) in the refugium... but now i'm thinking this, and what i need some input on since i cant find any setup online like it:

30 gallon overflow into inclosed 10g inside the stand (this will leave plenty extra room underneath which was a prob with 20g). The 10g will be the skimmer>bubble trap>return. The return pump (need pump(s) ideas) will be split between going back to 30g and into the 20g display refugium. Overflow from display refugium going into the return section of the 10g sump. Valve on the return to refugium so there will be a little less flow to it.

Does this make since and will it work/be efficient. This way I can have two disply tanks. the 30 will be mostly coral oriented and the 20 can be some decorative macro algaes and maybe shrimp, snails and more passive fish. Any suggestions on it? should i have one return pump t'd off or two seperate pumps? Any extra equipment?

uncleof6
07/25/2010, 02:58 PM
I don't see where the confusion is. Somewhere along the line, you found some sound advice, or simply came up with it on your own. Running a "third" tank in a system, will always work as planned if the "third" tank is plumbed into the system as you would the main tank. Passively fed "auxiliary" tanks, generally do not function as well as expected.

As far as pumps go, 1 single larger pump will GENERALLY, be more efficient than two smaller pumps. I would suggest a pump rated @ 500 gph AFTER headloss, in the SUMP, rather than refugium, but I think that is what you have in mind, after the thought process. Which due to livestock in the refugium, split 3/2 between the DT/refugium. Although "lower", the fuge flow would be proportional to the DT. Though many suggest "lower" flow rates through a "fuge," there is no evidence or data to suggest that there is any advantage to "lower" flow rates through the fuge. (even without the livestock)

The larger problem you are likely to encounter is with your drain lines. Use overflow "box" type device, in the fuge (for surface skimming) as you would in the DT and consider the stand pipe design carefully, as even at these low flow rates, air/water mix drains are likely to give you some grief in terms of noise and bubbles, and perhaps reliability (gurgling, purging etc.) The first impulse is to use 1" "durso" type modified stand pipes, for these small tanks, but in most cases these do not work out well.

You will have two display tanks, put the same thought into the "fuge" as you would for a second full "reef tank" on the system, and you will likely have few problems--other than those inherent to running two dispaly tanks: a double dose of everything.

Jim

bFarmer
07/25/2010, 03:34 PM
Alright, thanks! Yeah it seemed to make sense to me. I just didn't know if I was missing some obvious problem. Another question- I have some caulerpa, I think, that was mixed in with some rock i got. It has clusters of suction cup shaped...clusters. Does any one know exactly what this is? Its in my tank now and has grown quite a bit. Was thinking about moving it to the refugium once set up unless its more trouble than worth.

uncleof6
07/25/2010, 04:17 PM
I am not a taxonomist, so won't make an attempt to identify what you have. The genus Caulerpa has been much maligned and legislated, due to the "bad" behavior of a few species within the genus. Much of what I have read concerning the genus, well the more "less passionate" information, is in the home aquarium, this behavior has a tendency to be water quality related. It may or may not be that simple however.

I keep very healthy C. prolifera, probably a mix with obovata. Anecdotal, but none the less, have not noticed any "bad" behavior.
Halimeda and Gracilaria are also good to provide a bit more bio diversity, rather than just Chaetomorpha.

Jim