PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime?

Chris2223
07/25/2010, 02:39 PM
I picked up some of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime to blast a few aips. It worked for the most part bt I have a handfull more to go.

I had read where somebody had mixed the lime into their top off water to help with calcium levels. It did not go into details on the amount to mix and what not, so I was wondering if anybody had been doing this and could help me out. I would like to use this since I have it and read where it had been done. Thanks

HighlandReefer
07/25/2010, 02:47 PM
Kalk water will supply both alk and calcium at the same ratio that coral use it. Kalk water has a high pH and can cause problems if overdosed. For this reason it is best to drip kalk water or dose it using a dosing pump with a timer attached to a float switch.

Most hobbyists substiute their top-off water with kalk water. A good starting point is mixing 1 teaspoon of kalk to 1 gallon of rodi water. You will need to adjust the amount of kalk you add to meet your alk demand. Kalk water is saturated at 2 teaspoons per 1 gallon of rodi water, so adding more will not dissolve.

Randy provides more details in this article:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

atvdave
07/25/2010, 06:25 PM
Been using Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime in my top off water for years. Be careful with it though like HighlandReefer said. My top off float switch stuck one time and dumped a lot of Kalk into my tank killing 1/3rd of my coral 2 fish. It's now on a timer circuit.

sjm817
07/25/2010, 08:54 PM
A decent ATO float switch setup will have 2 floats. One to control the topoff, and a second to override the first if it should stick or fail.

falconut
07/26/2010, 05:36 AM
I used to use it instead of the commercial kalk sold at my LFS. Unfortunetly, my mixing power heads took a beating. I was going through impellers evey few months. The blades kept getting blown off. Later I read that the Pickling lime was harder than the commercial kalk powder. I decided to try the Seachem Kalk and it's been almost 2 years now and I'm still using the same impeller. Now I used to drip mine, not in the top off. Was too nervious that it would clog the float valve and nook the tank. Hear too many horror stories.