PDA

View Full Version : 6' 150 lighting questions

Brickyardgreg
07/25/2010, 03:34 PM
im having a little bit of a delema here when it comes to deciding on how to light my new tank. the tank is 6' by 18 wide 29'' tall. ive been looking a doing a few different things. option one was going for 2 large refectors w 400w mh and doing icecape vho supplements. then another thought i had was to just go with all vho's 8 or so. but then i was wondering if the vhos will penitrate alomost 30'' and still be powerful enough. keep in mind my idea with the mh's would consist of 2 rock piles centered under the lights to utilize them fully as the spread on the ends wont be powerful and hopefully the suppliment lighting would even things out a bit.

any opinions are appreciated. also this is going to be an sps dominated tanks with some lps lower in the tank, msybe even a clam or 2.
thanks in advance.

Brickyardgreg
07/25/2010, 08:18 PM
Anything?

outy
07/26/2010, 12:07 AM
im lighting a 29" deep tank by 72" long, if you have a large center brace and can only run 2 lights then 2 x 250w would work out nice with 2 VHO atinic supplementation. I went with 2 x 454 bulbs and they have a nice blue color and lots of par for the depth.

im thinking about running a 250w in the center and 2 175's on the sides since I mainly have LPS.

Brickyardgreg
07/26/2010, 06:04 AM
Good to know. My tank does have the centerbrace which concerns me a bit heat wise. If I were to run a center light what would you say is a safe height for it not to melt the brace? Seems like the vhos are the way to go for supplimentation. Would 250 s suffice for sps or would 400 be a better bet for sps?
Thanks