PDA

View Full Version : adding a tang to my reef- aggressive issues

scott11
07/25/2010, 05:46 PM
I currently have a sailfin and a Striped Bristletooth Tang in my 180, they are both 3-4". Today I picked up a yellow tang (2") and tried to add him. The sailfin didnt care, but the bristletooth went nuts after him, tore up a fin really quick. I caught the yellow, hes in the sump now.

What would be the best way to introduce the yellow? I was planning to do it at night, but are there any other ideas? I can not catch the bristletooth. Will they calm down after a day, or will he kill the yellow?

DJ_drew
07/25/2010, 05:51 PM
do it after you turn the lights off and another way to make them calm down is to redo some parts of your aquascape to confuse the fish a bit it usually helps. the fact your bristletooth went for the yellow first is a little strange as the sailfin and yellow are basically the same fish and normally go nuts with each other.

but either way
at night and change some of your aquascape

JRChristiansen
07/25/2010, 06:56 PM
i agree with dj i just added a coral beauty 2 weeks ago to my 150g and i have 3 big tangs and they went nuts just make some caves so they can hide and let them be for like 3 or 4 days and they should be fine but the yellow tang should be fine cuz he can fit in smaller spots then ur other tangs. and put him back in when the lights are out.
just dont keep putting him in and taking him back out and he will be fine his fins will grow back.

scott11
07/26/2010, 07:05 PM
I added the yellow back at night, today, there was some fighting, all 3 tangs are a little beat up, but after a few hours they seem to be ok with each other now, and all ate today.

DJ_drew
07/26/2010, 07:12 PM
what size is your tank by the way?

scott11
07/26/2010, 07:15 PM
it is a 6' 180gal