PDA

View Full Version : New Baby Reidi seahorses

AnayaReef
07/25/2010, 10:31 PM
Just wanted to show off one of my babies. They are 5 days old, and I have about 50-75, doing well. I pulled this guy out into a shot glass for a picture cause he was almost all white/clear/gray where the others are mostly black. They are tooooo cute :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs213.snc4/39002_413769641985_518216985_5132201_6956660_n.jpg

ctenophors rule
07/26/2010, 07:19 AM
Just wanted to show off one of my babies. They are 5 days old, and I have about 50-75, doing well. I pulled this guy out into a shot glass for a picture cause he was almost all white/clear/gray where the others are mostly black. They are tooooo cute :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs213.snc4/39002_413769641985_518216985_5132201_6956660_n.jpg

nice job!

think you could post some details? feeding schedule, etc.

rayjay
07/26/2010, 07:27 AM
Good Luck!!
I'm still waiting for more fry but it's been a long wait so far.
My last ones are all sold and I need the revenue they provide.

Peka
07/26/2010, 07:32 AM
Congrats... did ruth give you the kreisiel with the horses?

sammycrow
07/26/2010, 10:15 AM
Those are beauties! :) Will you be selling some? My tank will be ready in about 4 months..

Allmost
07/26/2010, 10:37 AM
nice!

any more info on the nursery and .... ?

feeding ... ?

AnayaReef
07/26/2010, 11:33 AM
Hello all,

I have them in a Kreisel (Yes, Peka, the Kreisel was from Ruth as my Seahorse gave birth the morning I picked him up!) with live rock, chaeto and a small power filter. No heater at this point, stays at 72 degrees. Partial water change (about a gallon or so) every day and a half at this point (basically the water in their bowl), along with siphoning the bottom of the kreseil daily. I feed them rotifers several times a day. I give them a turkey baster full straight from the culture (green water and all).

I had an initial die-off of around 20 babies and maybe 5 more throughout the last few days. I'm kinda winging it at this point. I don't have a rotifer seive, so they are getting everything from the culture. Placing an order today for a set of seives. I will be hatching them some BBS starting this week as I beleive they are big enough to handle it at this point. Pretty big little babies, averaging around 1 cm. I did not cull any at this point. I have not seen anyone that sticks out as needing culled at this point. Perhaps once they stop spinning in the kreisel I can take a better look.

I have been doing lights off at night only because I am out of plugs in the fishroom. I need to pull another power strip down there and then I can give them light 24/7. I need the power strip setup to hatch my BBS anyway. At this point they get light from 6:30 in the morning until about 11pm at night, from the other tanks in the fishroom.

I have 2 rotifer cultures going, one I just started and one was established from Ruth. Will be setting up a few more as I may be expectin more babies soon...also setting up a copepod culture too. Just getting organized for raising babies as you can tell.

I am also planning on building an in-tank Kresiel for my display tank as this will keep future babies fully filtered with skimmer and all and I can see them easier as they will be at eye level.

I have to admit it is captivating watching these little guys...scratching their heads with their tails...frolicking around...and even seem to 'buck' like a real foal when others get to close :)

Yes, Sammy, I will likely sell any babies I raise to maturity. I will probably keep a couple for breeding with traits I find interesting.

And these babies are from the pair Ruth (TiaBabyGirl2) uses in her Avatar (Peka, these came from you), my dream poines. Very excited to see these babies at maturity. I am in love with the parents. They are so sweet.

More to come...

I'll post my own pics of the parents when I'm at home. Picasa and Facebook are both blocked at my office, lol.

Allmost
07/26/2010, 12:08 PM
wow nice !

one week is the most I have gone :( lol

good luck :)

Peka
07/26/2010, 01:47 PM
Don't get discouraged. reidi are one of the hardest seahorses to raise. I would start giving them brine now and not wait. Continue with the rots but add some brine in. I would not recommend taking directly from the rot culture (water and all) but I understand why you are doing it. I would also not recommend the live rock and cheato due to the possibility of hydroids. Your best chance of survial is to keep the tank clean and lots of water changes. The intake kreisel is a nice idea but you will have the hydroid problem in your DT if you do that. Just a couple of suggestions.......good luck!

AnayaReef
07/26/2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks Beth. I am starting my bbs tonight, so they will have it shortly, thanks for confirming they need it now.

I will watch for the hydroids and keep an eye on it. At this point it would be too late as the LR and chaeto have been in there since day one. I'll do a serious once-over on the tank and see what I can see in there.

Thanks and I'll keep this thread updated :)

AnayaReef
07/26/2010, 06:45 PM
ok, so I've pulled the babies out of the kreisel and am breaking it down and starting it from scratch in fear of the hydroids...sigh. I did lost a couple more today. :(

tiababygirl2
07/27/2010, 05:30 AM
Well, the baby looks awesome ...Your doing great ,but keep feeding them the rotifers for the 14 days , the green water will not hurt them ,as long as you keep up with the water changes.infact its works better ,thats why you still have so many babies left,then start with the BS /rotifers combo.... you'll see more die off when there given BS..
you'll do find ,I started with 1 day old babies also.and now your breeding them !!!
Ruth

Peka/beth..yes i did give her the kresiel,last we spoke you didn't want it back or any money.plus you haven't contacted me when you heard i was getting out,i did try to call you also.. sorry..

Peka
07/27/2010, 05:42 AM
Peka/beth..yes i did give her the kresiel,last we spoke you didn't want it back or any money.plus you haven't contacted me when you heard i was getting out,i did try to call you also.. sorry..

Ruth, I didn't want it it back. I just wanted to make sure she was prepared with a kresiel that's why I asked the question. I didn't realize that I was supposed to call you, I don't remember a message from you but honestly, I have been so busy that I may have missed it. I'm sorry to hear you are getting out. I hope you are enjoying your free time, you deserve it!

SaylorsReef
07/27/2010, 11:36 AM
You are not too far from me. I am also raising fry. Let me know if you need anything. I have all kinds of extra stuff, including some meds on hand if you should need anything.

Good luck with the babies!

AnayaReef
07/27/2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks Saylor, where are you?

SaylorsReef
07/27/2010, 12:06 PM
Sent you a PM.

tiababygirl2
07/27/2010, 08:10 PM
Thats great ..someone close to help and then to share each other experiences.. kinda like what Peka and I did..Hope it works out !
I'm available when ever need me . of course calling me is the best..

AnayaReef
07/27/2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks Ruth, I medicated them tonight for the scratching. Unfortunately I came home to find quite a few that appear to be dead :( So I will see how many make it to tomorrow.

Looking forward to having some close by folks Saylor and Dana are both very close. It will be nice for sure!

SaylorsReef
07/27/2010, 11:37 PM
Fry are tough! Reidi are really hard. Hang in there you'll get it right. Sometimes it takes a few times before you get it right. Each time you learn more and more.

AnayaReef
07/28/2010, 05:54 AM
Thanks Saylor...I am not discouraged, I will get it :) I just feel bad for the babies that suffer and die until I do!!!

Allmost
07/28/2010, 08:37 AM
think of all the babies in the wild that become food or ....

asianer
07/28/2010, 12:38 PM
My Reidi babies would eat BBS right out of the pouch, they look awesome. You will have batches every 16 days or so, enjoy!

AnayaReef
07/28/2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks, I think I'm going to try BBS and Rots both from the start on my next hatch. I just need to get back into the raising babies groove and I'm sure things will improve.

:):):)

AnayaReef
07/28/2010, 09:04 PM
Welp, it's official, I have no survivors. I will be better prepared next week when I'm anticipating Big might give birth again...Thanks for everyone's encouraging words and advice.

SaylorsReef
07/28/2010, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry Rhonni!

AnayaReef
07/28/2010, 09:48 PM
It was very hard to see all of those perfect little seahorse bodies laying at the bottom of the bowl after I siphoned them all out...sigh.......so sad. I thought I had one survivor, but I think I just imagined his wiggle...

tiababygirl2
07/28/2010, 10:43 PM
Awe. so sorry..you'll get another chance. good luck with the BBS. you'll probably try a lot of things. all i know in my 2 yrs.your very ponies came ,to me at 1 day old,and i didn't know better ,so i Fed them rotifers for weeks,I think it was at least 12 days before i introduced BBS,well long story made short. i had 8 live.amazingly 4 female 4 male.
now after that batch,it was harder to keep them alive .i think the BBS had allot to do with there death.but there your babies now ..you'll get it right.and BIG's babies aren't small,they might be ready for BBS right away.
GOOD LUCK , with next batch.
Ruth

ctenophors rule
07/28/2010, 11:36 PM
keep trying!

amonte
08/06/2010, 10:32 AM
That sounds like so much fun. I want some.:fun4:

vangoghfish
08/06/2010, 07:13 PM
When they mature, and if you will ship would buy a nice amount, in NJ 08406