PDA

View Full Version : Help with DSB for Refugium.

MyReef 2b Great
07/27/2010, 08:30 AM
I live near Atlantic City. I was wondering if I could just use some sand from the beach there to make a DSB for my refugium? If not, then would the sand in the link below be a good choice?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4363/product.web

KeMo
07/27/2010, 08:48 AM
I found this dude on youtube. he has been doing a dsb for a long time and has a couple really good vids on everything you will need to know.
http://www.youtube.com/user/newyorksteelo

jerseyhokie
07/27/2010, 10:22 AM
Not sure if you're asking about particle size or life within the sand. Northeast beaches appear to have slightly larger particle grain sizes based on a quick google search. Best bet is to look for dry sand blown along a drift fence. The lighter blown sand will be smaller in size hopefully.

outy
07/27/2010, 11:28 AM
I run my fuge BB so its easy to clean up.

If you have to have sand then yes it will work just fine, it should be rinsed well if its dry sand.

MyReef 2b Great
07/28/2010, 11:41 AM
Ok thanks guys. Ill probably use some sand from the beach. Ive been running my refugium BB as well but i think tht i need to go with a dsb to help better get rid of nitrates. What do u guys think?

jerseyhokie
07/28/2010, 12:02 PM
A little more info about your tank will help but a DSB can control nitrates. Is the algae in the Fuge well established?

outy
07/28/2010, 12:02 PM
Ok thanks guys. Ill probably use some sand from the beach. Ive been running my refugium BB as well but i think tht i need to go with a dsb to help better get rid of nitrates. What do u guys think?

it will if its 6" deep, if its oolitic sand you can get away with maybe 4" the propblem is theres not enough surface area in a sump to remove much nitrates once its up and running like what works in a DT

you add the fact now its a detritus trap and the negative clearly outweighs the positive by a landslide.

I tried DSB in a sump/fuge for years before I went BB

now if your sump is the same size or larger then your DT the sand will work perfect but id run a filter sock, speaking of that if you run sand you really need a sock

MyReef 2b Great
07/28/2010, 12:19 PM
Thats the problem. My fuge is very small. IDK the gallons but the dimensions are 14" Wide x 4" Deep x 13.5" Tall. I've got a pretty good size ball of chaeto but i figured that a dsb would help with the nitrates be cause the are still at about 10 to 15ppm. I have a 60 gallon DT with 60 lbs live rock and about a 1-1.5 in sand bed. My Amonia and Nitrite have been zero for like ever. Ive just been battling with nitrates and phosphates. Right now I currently dont know what my phospates are at. I havent check them.

MyReef 2b Great
07/28/2010, 12:20 PM
Any suggestions other that getting a bigger fuge? Because of space limitations I have to use a HOB fuge and thats about as big as I can go with one.

jerseyhokie
07/29/2010, 07:01 AM
Well you have a couple of options. One would be to cover the fuge floor with live rock rubble. It will collect detritus faster, but i would think you could add maybe 10 lbs of rock that way. You can always use filter floss and carbon. Whats your water change schedule like?

las
09/02/2010, 10:31 AM
bump