PDA

View Full Version : Seeding dead rock w/ live via Brute can?

chimmike
07/27/2010, 10:08 AM
I've got some dry rock I've had curing in salt water for over a week. I plan on a water change probably this coming weekend. I'm wondering if I can order a couple pieces of live rock, set 'em in the brute with one of those low-energy bulbs and a low-flow circulation pump and seed the dead rock that way?

It's just sitting in my garage right now.

Flame_Angel
07/27/2010, 11:38 AM
As long as you're not smothering the live rock with the dead stuff, you should be fine. I just wouldn't put anything in there that's got any amount of live animals living on it, or a rock with really nice coralline.

*edit*
Maybe try working a rigid plastic tube down to the bottom of the container, and attaching it to the powerhead so you get complete circulation of water. Otherwise I'd be concerned with dead spots down near the bottom.

outy
07/27/2010, 11:53 AM
I think the only thing you will seed in a few months is benificial bacteria, in that case a piece of shrimp will work better then another piece of rock. no need for light that I can see.

chimmike
07/27/2010, 12:06 PM
I'm just thinking the light (one of the 'fuge 6500k varieties) to help maintain any corraline on the rock.

When I say powerhead, there's a submersible pump in there now circulating the water pretty good. I'm not going to totally fill the thing with a ton of rock, just a little bit to start.