PDA

View Full Version : 100w led

silverwolf72
07/27/2010, 10:57 AM
http://www.lck-led.com/p702/BIGBEE-100-100W-LED-Light-Engine---Fan,-Heatsink,-36v,-8-9000LM/product_info.html
(http://www.lck-led.com/p702/BIGBEE-100-100W-LED-Light-Engine---Fan,-Heatsink,-36v,-8-9000LM/product_info.html)

Just curious what you think of this?
The specks looks really good and so does the price

Timanator
07/27/2010, 11:35 AM
Gonna grow mari-jane? Look at the color.

Beaun
07/27/2010, 11:45 AM
Doesn't look bad, its got ~80 lumens/watt, which isn't great, but not bad either. It will need some actinic/blue supplements for color. The heatsink on that thing is bigger then most heatsinks for CPUs.

Toadally
07/27/2010, 12:27 PM
Corals have been grown with 65k bulbs for years. It's just not an appealing color.

DanMgy
07/27/2010, 02:29 PM
With the size of that heatsink it makes me wonder how much heat that thing is going to be putting out. I have the Maxspect and the 30w are noticably warmer than the 3w.

Anemonebuff
07/27/2010, 03:06 PM
Looks like it is liquid cooled. It probably works okay, however, LCK has awful customer service.

evilc66
07/28/2010, 12:38 PM
It's not liquid cooled in the typical sense. What you see are heat pipes. They are a form of phase change cooling. Without getting too technical, they allow heat to be more efficiently moved away from the heat source, and allow the heatsink to have more even heat distribution.

100W in a small area is s ton of heat. A similar LED setup using smaller LEDs spaced over a larger area will feel cooler, but that is because the heat is distributed better. This setup will produce more overall heat, as these LEDs are not very efficient by todays standards, regardless of what the site says for performance. They claim 8000-9000lm. I'd be willing to bet it's more like 5000-6000lm. That would put it in a more reasonable lumen per watt range that is typical for LEDs of this type.

blasterman789
07/28/2010, 01:42 PM
Actually what Evil wanted to say is it's not a 3watt Cree, so it sucks. [A big reason why I don't use 3watt emitters anymore after I found a source of 10-20watt RBs.]

Also, distributing LEDs all over like recessed lighting in grandpa's basement as a thermal justification only lends arguement to fixtures running .5-1watt SMDs. Right Evil?

I see threads about these big Semi emitters all the time, and they are a waste of money. If you want a big honking emitter then get a big Bridgelux C4500. More efficient, state of the art, and an American company. Probably brighter as well since the chinese lie about lumen specs about 2x.

The question is, why bother because because it's a 6500k emitter. Only tank it would decent over is a 300gallon fresh water. If they made 455nm versions of this emitter we'd have something to argue about, but they don't.

Plus, the white light produced by this emitter is pretty poor and an old tech phosphor set. Think cheap flashlight.

evilc66
07/29/2010, 11:56 AM
Actually what Evil wanted to say is it's not a 3watt Cree, so it sucks. [A big reason why I don't use 3watt emitters anymore after I found a source of 10-20watt RBs.]

Also, distributing LEDs all over like recessed lighting in grandpa's basement as a thermal justification only lends arguement to fixtures running .5-1watt SMDs. Right Evil?

I see threads about these big Semi emitters all the time, and they are a waste of money. If you want a big honking emitter then get a big Bridgelux C4500. More efficient, state of the art, and an American company. Probably brighter as well since the chinese lie about lumen specs about 2x.

The question is, why bother because because it's a 6500k emitter. Only tank it would decent over is a 300gallon fresh water. If they made 455nm versions of this emitter we'd have something to argue about, but they don't.

Plus, the white light produced by this emitter is pretty poor and an old tech phosphor set. Think cheap flashlight.

Get over yourself. You can be so arrogant sometimes. While you seem to constantly bash me (and seemingly few others) for using/recommending Cree LEDs, the same could be said for you with your persistant chest pounding about Bridgelux and Satistronic LEDs. It's different methods for getting the same thing done. Do I come around and bash you for using 20W LEDs? No. Did I mention 3W or Cree anywhere in that post? No. The comment was ment to cover many different wattages of LEDs. The point was to show how poor the performance of these LEDs is, the fact that these manufacturers constant mislead with falsified numbers, and that thermally, they are horribly inneficient. All of these points you agree with me on, but still you feel you need to harp on me about Cree LEDs. It seems the only reason you are on these message boards is to prove that you are right, and everyone else is wrong, regardless of the reason.