PDA

View Full Version : Ro/di replacement filters

wilsonreefs
07/27/2010, 05:11 PM
I have a Typhoon III ro/di unit and was looking into refilling the DI cartridge. This is a refillable one and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about various vendors Mixed bed DI media. I was also wondering if I could take one of these DI cartridges and put the Activated catalytic carbon in it and use it instead of one of the coconut block cartridges. I have several of the DI cartridges from just replacing them so I though this time I would refill them. Is most color changing DI media the same or is one better than the other?
Another thing is, can this DI media be recharged? Just wondering...

Thanks,
Carl

reef_doug
07/27/2010, 05:25 PM
For using one DI cartridge, mixed bed (cation and anion) is your best bet. Other DI resins such as Silica Free or Spectrapure Maxcap would require a mixed bed afterwards anyway. Some companies claim their's is better, but in reallity it's probably how it's stored. Look for some that arrive in sealed mylar bags. I've used Spectrapure & BRS with good results. The color indicating does not replace using a TDS meter.
DI resin can't be recharged economically, the cation and anion would have to be seperated first.

For carbon block, coconut shell is not very good. For using one carbon filter, look for a carbon block vs. GAC. Good ones are Matrikx +1 or Spectrapure 2000 gal carbon block.