PDA

View Full Version : Stocking question

9thwonder
07/27/2010, 07:11 PM
I have a 48X30X20 tank and wanted some opinions/suggestions on my stocklist. I have not set the tank up yet. (currently remodeling). Anyway, on to the list. Let me know what you guys think

1. 2 Onyx clowns (only have one right now)
2. Yellow Watchman Goby
3. 5 Bartlett's Anthias
4. 2 Potter's Angels
5. Regal Angel
6. Chevron Tang
7. McCosker's Wrasse
8. Maybe one more fish if I can get away with it. Either a Fathead Anthias or another angel.

TripleT
07/28/2010, 05:55 AM
Is that a 100 gallon tank?

If you wind up with two female clowns, that will be bad.

5 anthias is a lot in a 4 foot long tank. I think a school of anthias (with one male) would be better suited to a 6 foot tank or larger, with lots of flow.

2 Potter's only if they are a mated pair in the store, and look healthy and are eating for at least a week or two, which could be hard to come by.

I wouldn't put any of the larger species of Angel in a 4 foot tank.

Chevrons can grow fairly large, and change appearance as adults (in case you've never seen):

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5kQSsIiJIFJ9XX5e0Env5Cnt41nf_BfosUPSeQC5BVpgDED0&t=1&usg=__TF8p_ULKUu9WEvqAXVsRL-KzWb8=

Whatever you do, fully cycle the tank for at least a month, and add fish slowly. QT them first, for at least 4-6 weeks.

anbosu
07/28/2010, 08:46 AM
I think that is a 120 or 125 gallon.

The regal is borderline, and it is a lot of fish, but if you have really good filtration, etc. I don't think you really have fish compatibility issues that I notice.

9thwonder
07/28/2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I think I'm gonna ditch the Potter's pair and maybe add a Flame Angel with the Potter's and just do a trio of anthias. Anyone have any other suggestions?

TripleT
07/28/2010, 06:00 PM
Do some research on pygmy angels. You'll probably find most advice is to keep one per tank.

They can be pretty aggressive despite their size, particularly against other pygmy angels.

And if you do get one, it is a good idea to add it as one of your last fish.

Toddrtrex
07/28/2010, 08:49 PM
Why ditch the Potter's pair?

I had a pair (( lost them about a year and a half ago, due to a pump issue while I was in the hospital )), and they were great. Started showing pre-spawning behavior before I lost them. If you can't find a pair, just get one large one and one small one.

Them getting used to each other,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/babypotter14.jpg

9thwonder
07/28/2010, 10:59 PM
Those are nice. How long did it take for them to start eating?

Toddrtrex
07/28/2010, 11:04 PM

It was awhile ago, but I want to say within a day or two of me getting them.

TripleT
07/29/2010, 06:13 AM

Don't forget to ask your LFS to feed any fish you're thinking of buying. And make sure to take note of exactly what they are feeding them.

If they are eating in the store, and you QT them when you get home, you'll have much more success.

As far as the Potter's Angel, an LFS by me was feeding New Life Spectrum pellets to one recently, and he seemed to love it. So if you get one that is finicky, that's one more food to try.

9thwonder
07/29/2010, 06:14 PM
thanks guys