PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a Naso Unicornis

King of spades
07/28/2010, 10:10 AM
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a Naso unicornis for my reef aquarium but i can't seem to find where in Canada i can get one. Do you have any suggestion as to where i can find a place where i can buy one.

Thank you.

kirkaz
07/28/2010, 10:37 AM
Do any of the American online sites ship to Canada?

King of spades
07/28/2010, 11:37 AM
No they don't. not for livestock apparently. kind of wierd...

King of spades
07/28/2010, 01:07 PM
I think that Dr. Foster and Smith do deliver to Canada but i am not 100% sure.
but they presently don't have any in stock.

Please someone, there must be a place where i can order from which has them in stock right now. I just love that fish.

kirkaz
07/28/2010, 01:47 PM
I think that Dr. Foster and Smith do deliver to Canada but i am not 100% sure.
but they presently don't have any in stock.

Please someone, there must be a place where i can order from which has them in stock right now. I just love that fish.

Bluezoo has them, not sure about the shipping to Canada.

King of spades
07/28/2010, 02:03 PM
Bluezoo does not ship to canada unfortunately. I can't believe that there is not a store in Canada that ships to my place and currently has a Naso Unicornis in stock right now.

AquaKnight
07/28/2010, 02:07 PM
How close are you to the USA border? You could just ship to a FedEx location near the border Stateside, and just drive and pick them up yourself.

King of spades
07/28/2010, 02:28 PM
It is a good idea but if i have it shipped stateside near the border, can the customs stop me from bringing it in Canada ? will they confiscate the livestock ?

melanotaenia
07/28/2010, 05:00 PM
It is a good idea but if i have it shipped stateside near the border, can the customs stop me from bringing it in Canada ? will they confiscate the livestock ?

They will most likely confiscate I would think but your chance of being searched like that should be small to none, at least across the Canadian border. The Mexican border on the other hand........ ;)

AquaKnight
07/28/2010, 05:15 PM
I can't say for sure, I live on the bottomside of the US. As melanotaenia pointed out, they really don't search your car, you just usually have to show some ID, right?

It would be worth-wild, just to call them, Customs, the Canadian Fish and Wildfish service, and ask that you plan to bring one pet fish home into Canada, from the US, and what if any legal concerns there are?

I would strongly urge you to use the 'pet fish' term, to avoid any confusion with commercial fishing. I definitely assume people take their pet dogs from Canada into the US and back all the time. See what they might need for their dogs, and just make sure you have that info for the fish.

melanotaenia
07/28/2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah except most people do not take their fish on trips lol. I would definitely follow this advice though and call them to find out about "adopting" a pet fish and taking it home to your tank.

It should make for an interesting conversation.

Also check this page
http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&zTi=1&sdn=canadaonline&cdn=newsissues&tm=41&f=10&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/petanie.shtml

King of spades
07/28/2010, 07:17 PM
I can't believe how lucky i am. I have been waiting to get this fish for the past year here in Canada and just today, one of the local fish stores i go to regularly, had one nice specimen and he is in really good shape and quite big already (5 - 6 inches).

I will post some pictures of him soon. Right now i have just put him in my aquarium and he seems to like his new home. I just can't believe it still. He does not yet have his horn but you can see a bump between the 2 eyes. you can also see the 2 sets of blue scalpels he's got.

Thanks a lot guys even though you didn't do much to help but at least you kept me going.

Cantonesefish
07/28/2010, 07:40 PM
Nice! Since you were specifically looking for a Naso unicornis I'm guessing you have a monster aquarium. :eek2:

FWIW the Canadian border would not be a problem with fish, I've taken spears across the border (for martial arts tournament) and just throw a towel over the spearheads, not a problem.

King of spades
07/28/2010, 08:08 PM
well for now it is a 150 gallon tank but i hope to be able to upgrade soon. For now he's got plenty of swimming space.

tcmfish
07/28/2010, 08:32 PM
FWIW, just drove over the Canadian border and back, just had to show ID. They asked about alcohol and firearms, and what we planned on doing.

TampaReefer79
07/28/2010, 09:15 PM
What are the dimensions of the 150? I'm sorry, but I think the tank is too small for this monster of a fish. A 5-6 inch unicorn tang needs tons of room and will just continue to grow...and rapidly! Even an 8' tank is too small...