PDA

View Full Version : building a tank stand

dublo8
07/28/2010, 11:31 AM
I was wondering what some of you guys are lining the interior of your sump section with. I have a 5" lip all the way around the inside area of the sump for overflow. I already have everything siliconed up. I was wanting to paint the inside of the sump area with some type of waterproof paint. Not just poly but something to actually be waterproof not just water repellent. It needs to hold at least 20 gallons of water in case of an overflow in the sump for a day or two if I go out of town. :fish1:

Jeff000
07/28/2010, 02:44 PM
Just use a putty knife and spread the silicon around. You can get that paint that is used to plastic dip tools and the like, you could use that, its what I will be using, should make clean up easy.

MCary
07/28/2010, 03:05 PM
Any exterior latex paint is going to be waterproof as long as it isn't scratched or torn. A lot of silicone caulk is paintable. So if you siliconed your edges and painted it with latex, it would be water proof. At least for a while. If you felt that wasn't good, there are pool sealants that can also be painted over. You could paint the bottom with this stuff and then paint that if it wasn't to you liking. The problem with this, is that the stuff is spendy.

dublo8
07/28/2010, 03:36 PM
Any exterior latex paint is going to be waterproof as long as it isn't scratched or torn. A lot of silicone caulk is paintable. So if you siliconed your edges and painted it with latex, it would be water proof. At least for a while. If you felt that wasn't good, there are pool sealants that can also be painted over. You could paint the bottom with this stuff and then paint that if it wasn't to you liking. The problem with this, is that the stuff is spendy.

Thanks, yeah I looked at that stuff and also the roof sealer as well (the white kind) not the asphalt base. Looking at the inside of the stand I am starting to really like the natural wood appeal. Any special poly that I should use or just layer it up real thick to keep the water in. Just trying to keep as much moisture out of the wood as possible and avoid any warping of the wood. Lowes and HD people act like im stupid when I try to explain what I am doing and they really arent giving me any good answers.

dublo8
07/28/2010, 03:48 PM
Just use a putty knife and spread the silicon around. You can get that paint that is used to plastic dip tools and the like, you could use that, its what I will be using, should make clean up easy.

I would be worried the plastic dip would not adhere to the surface very well. The silicone is a good idea actually if it were just to the 6 inch mark. in the sump area. I am still curious about using a couple of coats of high gloss poly on the inside. I wonder if that would also do the trick.

reefermad619
07/28/2010, 04:31 PM
There's tuis stuff at HD that the sell with allthe ploys. It's used for bar table tops. It's a 2 part epoxy and cost about 20/box. Depending on the size of the interior of your stand, you'll probably need two boxes.

Jeff000
07/28/2010, 05:53 PM
I would be worried the plastic dip would not adhere to the surface very well. The silicone is a good idea actually if it were just to the 6 inch mark. in the sump area. I am still curious about using a couple of coats of high gloss poly on the inside. I wonder if that would also do the trick.

I painted a stool with the plastic dip stuff at the lake about 10 years ago, and its still great, faded a bit from always being in the sun, but no peeling.