PDA

View Full Version : what is the danger in bubbles????

keeganpsp
07/28/2010, 05:07 PM
okay so i honestly have no idea what the purpose in a bubble trap is, i know its supposed to eliminate bubbles in your sump and tank but what danger do they posses?

thanks

and yeah i know its a stupid question lol

Saltyllama
07/28/2010, 05:12 PM
Not a stupid question. The only danger of micro bubbles is the danger of making the water look dirty. All the little bubbles look like junk floating around in your water. That's it.

Trust me though, bubble traps are great and work very well if designed properly.

Palting
07/28/2010, 05:18 PM
:) I had the exact same question a few weeks ago. Micro bubbles attach to everything, look ugly especially if you have algae, cloudy up the water, decrease light transmission in the water to your corals, burst on the surface and create more salt creep. I owe that knowledge to Tellyfish.

customdusty
07/28/2010, 08:20 PM
Do you want clear water? If yes, you absolutely can't have microbubbles.

On the other hand, however, many people like having microbubbles in their tank for an effect that makes it more authentic and natural. This is commonly delivered via a surge tank which dumps a large mass of water into your tank very quickly - like a big whoosh of water and bubbles all at once at timed intervals.

Personally, I choose crystal clear water in my system. I do have to admit though if I had a large system I would definitely have the surges and bubbles because on large tanks it looks more natural.

bogd19
07/28/2010, 08:25 PM
How do you get rid of micro bubbles?

customdusty
07/28/2010, 08:33 PM
How do you get rid of micro bubbles?

The only way to get rid of them is to know where they come from. I have had two problems with them which are quite common and corrected them. I had a skimmer that constantly produced them out of the drain, and also my drain line into my sump made bubbles that did not break and eventually got sucked right back into my return pump. I ultimately decided to build my own sump and include a series of bubble traps. The traps helped break the bubbles and prevented them from getting back into the tank. I dumped the skimmer.

Old Sump with microbubbles:

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/customdusty/DSCN0603-1.jpg

New Sump without:

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/customdusty/DSCN0676.jpg

GhostCon1
07/28/2010, 09:16 PM
From personal experience, tons of microbubbles will cause corals to stress when they are in direct contact with them and cause poor, if any, polyp extension.

calziereef
07/29/2010, 06:46 AM
I agree with ghostcon1, corals can get irrated by the constant bubbles brushing past them, and micro bubbles also cloud the water

cloak
07/29/2010, 11:33 AM
From personal experience, tons of microbubbles will cause corals to stress when they are in direct contact with them and cause poor, if any, polyp extension.

Not IME.

I went out of my way to make sure my powerheads would inject a burst of bubbles into the tank every 10 seconds or so. It was like this for years and I never had any problems.

GhostCon1
07/29/2010, 01:46 PM
Not IME.

I went out of my way to make sure my powerheads would inject a burst of bubbles into the tank every 10 seconds or so. It was like this for years and I never had any problems.

Did the bubbles come into direct contact with polyps/tissue and allowed to accumulate?

cloak
07/29/2010, 03:14 PM
The bubbles were everywhere, so yes they did come into contact with the polyps/tissue, but they never did accumulate.

GhostCon1
07/29/2010, 05:22 PM
Ah, mine did. That's why I said that.