PDA

View Full Version : Tanks & getting sick

Sooners
07/29/2010, 10:18 AM
Has anyone become sick from working in their tank, or speculate that as the cause (eg. Stomach sickness etc.). Note the attached article.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/research/updates/issues/june-2006/salmonella-alert

outy
07/29/2010, 10:21 AM
looks like freshwater tanks to me bud

kcochran0010
07/29/2010, 10:27 AM
Could handling a anemone cause stomach sickness?? I was moving my anemone around yesterday cause he wedged his self under a rock. When I was done I had think gooey stuff on my fingers.. Been sick to my stomach for past 2 days!

mullinsd2
07/29/2010, 10:27 AM
One day when I was doing a wc in the 75 gallon i had, I started a siphon and got a mouth full. I am pretty sure I swallowde a very small amount of water, but I was sick the rest of the day. I woke up that night in a deep sweat, but I felt much better after that.:lolspin:

kcochran0010
07/29/2010, 10:28 AM
One day when I was doing a wc in the 75 gallon i had, I started a siphon and got a mouth full. I am pretty sure I swallowde a very small amount of water, but I was sick the rest of the day. I woke up that night in a deep sweat, but I felt much better after that.:lolspin:

Same thing happened to me a few times lol!

Sooners
07/29/2010, 10:40 AM
I'm kind-of curious as to how much risk there is from something like salmonella.

BFG
07/29/2010, 10:43 AM
Could handling a anemone cause stomach sickness?? I was moving my anemone around yesterday cause he wedged his self under a rock. When I was done I had think gooey stuff on my fingers.. Been sick to my stomach for past 2 days!

I got the same symptom from handling a few maxi mini. Sick to the stomach for a day.

sanababit
07/29/2010, 10:43 AM
in all of my time in the hobby i have never heard of anyone dying from putting their hand in their tank, and i'ved read nasty stories, then again, i have only been in the hobby two days, hahaahah, JK, come to think of it, i remember about a dog that past because he drank some water with zoas that where beign fragged.....

Sana

Beaun
07/29/2010, 10:55 AM
Palytoxins are really what you need to worry about with zoas. Obvious others would be urchin spines, anemone stings, lionfish spines...
I have heard of someone and his wife being sick for a long time and finally narrowing it down to the tank being the issue, I dont remember the details, so take it for what its worth.

Floowid
07/29/2010, 11:02 AM
I did saltwater aquarium maintenance for over 2 years. I had my hands in some of the nastiest stuff you can imagine on a daily basis. It never made me sick.

I have heard of some pretty serious mycobacteria infections from both fish tanks and the open ocean, but it seems to be the rare exception. I did hear of one rare case where a large tank in an unvented house caused a mold infestation, which can be quite serious.

evokevin
07/29/2010, 01:00 PM

using suction to start the siphon lasted one water change for me :lolspin:

the FAR easier way, and doesn't require a mouth full of water, is to simply submerge the siphoning hose in the display tank and get all the air out of the hose, plug one end with your finger, and move that end to the bucket/whatever your siphoning to. then release your finger from the end and watch all the water flow.

bnumair
07/29/2010, 01:14 PM
or u can get a siphon starter for few $.
my only injury in this hobby is year or so back while messing with uv steralizer. i eas trying to stop leak in it and watched the bulb for over 15 min while running it. it burnt my eyes. felt like sand or glass in my eyes for days. pain was unbareable and doc told me its like welders flash burn and there is nothing really to do but put some meds in the eye and take pain pils for few days. i was blind for 2 weeks then another 2 weeks blurry. rest after i was ok. dont know long term damage yet.

Evi1Monkey
07/29/2010, 01:47 PM
I don't use suction. I have a cheap small siphon, all you have to do is fill the siphone head part, lift it above the edge of the tank to get the water over the edge of the tank and through the tube, and crimp the line part way down. put the siphon back into the water so it removes the air that has just entered, and release. I've been doing water changes for 6 months now and have never had my mouth touch it, never used any extra tools either.