PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a filter sock?

dankoos
07/29/2010, 07:52 PM
I have an overflow draining into 1 1/2" pipes and down to my sump. I have my skimmer right in the compartment where the water comes in. In that compartment, a lot of "poo" or "gunk" accumulates on the bottom of the glass. Every now and again I use a siphon to clean it out. Would having some sort of filter sock or netting on the overflow output pipes solve this issue? I know I would have to keep up on emptying whatever I use. Does anyone else do this?

cveverly
07/29/2010, 07:58 PM
Filter socks will catch a lot of the debris that is entering your sump. If you use them have several and change them every couple of days.

Topbloke72
07/30/2010, 12:24 AM
Its best to have a few of them on standby so you can rotate them out. I wash mine in the washing machine with a little bleach.

Mmckibben
07/30/2010, 12:37 AM
My filter sock keeps my water crystal clean, but i have to clean it out once a week to prevent it from clogging.

khaosinc
07/30/2010, 01:20 AM
I don't bother, but then my sump is 300 gallons and stocked w/ scavengers. They need something to do.

cloak
07/30/2010, 01:21 AM
You don't really need one. At least let the tank circle without one before you make a decision. Give it a little time.

GL.

dankoos
07/30/2010, 05:55 AM
You don't really need one. At least let the tank circle without one before you make a decision. Give it a little time.

GL.

Tank has been up and running for 6 + months. Stocked prob 5 + months. Have had no issues...no nitrates or anything..just unsightly and not sure if all that gunk will cause nitrate/ammonia issues at some point if I don't keep up on siphoning it out of there.

newtank
07/30/2010, 08:07 AM
You can get away with a greater margin of error by removing that material. If you are not configured for anaerobic digestion at the skimmer chamber then that material is sitting there consuming O2 that other bacteria could be using to break down carbon based food sources dissolved in the water column that you can't see. Get a couple of 100 micron filter socks and change every three days as a best practice. You may get away with a week in between but results suffer. I run a 300+g system with no skimmer, heavily fed, rare water changes- with good stable parameters. I believe the keys are decent flow to keep material suspended, filter socks to remove the polutants, heavy oxygenation via 20" of fall in overflows to feed the bacteria on the tons of LR in the display and the sump. your mileage may vary, but it works great for me,

newtank
07/30/2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah I know my sig says Aqua-C skimmer, but it's sat under the stand never used it...it was because I was waiting on the pump to be rebuild, but I have had great success without it, so why run up my electric bill with a pressure pump if I don't have to. My cube on the other hand I will run a ASM3 skimmer on because it will not have nearly the rock work as I am going with a minamal bonzai design....oh sorry, this thread is about filter socks. I say yes, they are rad!

76frags
07/31/2010, 07:30 AM
Its best to have a few of them on standby so you can rotate them out. I wash mine in the washing machine with a little bleach.

I clean my sock filters on a sanitary cycle, but have never used bleach. Is there any special practice for using bleach, or is it safe enough to put back in the system after the wash? :hmm6:

dankoos
07/31/2010, 08:03 AM
OK, next question...how do I install the sock on just 1 1/2" pipe that dumps into the sump? I see most have a minimum 4" ring on them...

76frags
07/31/2010, 08:06 AM
I have mine suspended with the water running through it. You can drill holes in the plastic ring to slip something through for suspending.

IMO the less you have in the water - the more efficient it is.

wickedfish
07/31/2010, 08:30 AM
If you put a sock in for a few days you will see what it catches its a trap for uneaten food, pooh, even things flying around that are tiny that make there way into the top of the tank, I regularly find a hair or 2 a lint strand etc... try it out and the bleach should be used sparingly, I use it once a month a few drops go a long way. Highest pressure hose in your area will get it clean.

ingtar_shinowa
07/31/2010, 09:36 AM
i like running a sock from time to time when i blast my LR to catch those particulates.

newtank
07/31/2010, 11:33 AM
OK, next question...how do I install the sock on just 1 1/2" pipe that dumps into the sump? I see most have a minimum 4" ring on them...

I use a zip tie to fit the sock up snugly around the overflow discharge, this way as the filter becomes clogged pressure builds up thereby forcing water through and filtering it. Should the sock become too dirty the pressure builds to the point where the sock will shoot off the discharge feed. this has only happened once, I usually swap them out every three days.

Be sure to not adjust the zip tie too tightly because you want to reuse the same zip tie each time. Some people make the mistake of not cinching the top of the sock, so when it becomes slightly dirty the water takes the path of least resistance and pours over the top, short circuiting the filtration and making you think that the socks don't work.